Going Towards Third Grade | Teen Ink

Going Towards Third Grade

It was just playtime, then reading circle, nap, lunch,  short time to do the math, and then a day in school is done. That was all we ever did in a magical stage of life called Kindergarten. Oh, how I anticipated going to school the next day and every day.  What Kindergarten did not do was prepare us with the difficulty in third grade. Of course, there was first and second grade but for me, they were just all the same, the only difference was there was a bit more math time and there was homework. Each week for homework there was a packet with about three pages and each page had around four to eleven at the most questions. They were easy to like “ How do you spell tree” or for math, there would be ten questions asking “ What’s two plus six, what’s three plus six” and so on. Then came third grade.  “What’s four times eight” The teacher would ask and not everyone would be able to answer. If at the end of the school year, a student had not memorized the multiplication table, it would be a disaster. There is no way to get to division, fraction, etc. I overheard my mom who is a teacher say that it was easier to teach 3rd graders than the preschoolers. Maybe it was because the 3rd graders already know how to read, write, add and subtract. Maybe teaching a kindergarten class how to write needed a lot of patience. Isn’t it interesting how a teacher and a student like me, look at the basic teaching and learning in education?