A Not So Popular Opinion | Teen Ink

A Not So Popular Opinion

The floor was cold, and dust bunnies tumbled their way down the long hallway. Cinder block to my back and the windows to the brightly-lit courtyard in front of me, I began reading my essay.

The boring topic dragged on forever and ever, and the repetitious wording lulled me into the depths of drowsiness. On my right hand side, screeching and yelling trumpeted from a classroom, jerking me from my place of tranquility. “Go to the L.M.C.,” a substitute teacher yelled. Shrinking down against the wall, lowering my back to the floor and withdrawing my feet from their outstretched state, I huddled into a little ball and refused to acknowledge the presence of the girl marching down the hallway past me.

Muttering swear words, she blatantly insulted the substitute and had no consideration for the nearby classes as her mean words barreled down the hallway. She almost “salsad” down the hallway, for her movements made apparent her frustration and the heat of her anger was enough to spice up anyone’s day. I find this behavior to be a little annoying, but it honestly does not surprise me.

In a society where walking on eggshells has become the norm, it feels like the attempts of adults to turn children into humans who are never wrong has abruptly backfired. Walking down the hallway with a positive attitude can be easily ruined when I see entitled girls saunter past me; and the weight they possess in high school society is enough to gag me. I understand, though, that popularity is not all it is cracked up to be, although I am not speaking from personal experience. But my REAL complaint is not to be held with the high-and-mighties of high school. It is with the loudmouth, obnoxious, rambunctious, immature, self-conceited, egotistical, and dare I say sadistic behaviors of the young generation. When they smugly swagger into my place of work, I run to the back because the mere thought of delivering food to a bunch of catcalling teens who laugh too much is a nightmare. I have told my coworkers how much I despise teenagers, and after I get the response “You are a teenager”, I get the opportunity to explain why my contempt is so strong.

I am the equivalent of a 90 year old woman in a 17 year old’s body. I appreciate the concept of marriage and proper behavior. Basically, I am not some easy chick. (And I HATE the word chick. I find it demeaning.) But anyway, I think that teenagers have been spoiled to the point of no return. I know this is very broad and obviously does not include all teenagers, but almost every teenager I have encountered at my school is entitled. A teacher does not have to have your precious permission to take your phone when you have it out in class, especially if you are interrupting class with it. We have no doubt all seen a million studies on how distracting it is just to have it in the room. I am probably going to get in trouble for admitting this; but I always have my phone in the room, but I know that the people I would be texting, if I was dumb enough to have it out, can wait a blessed hour until we get the next 7 minute passing period.

You do not get the right to call a teacher a b-word because she made you do what your parents should have taught you to do, such as being a mannerly contributor to society instead of a spoiled brat.

I know this does not apply to all teenagers, so please don't despise me. I am just fed-up with immature people. I cannot understand the lack of respect that this particular group of teenagers displays. Maybe it is just me, I don't know. A lot of frustration came out in this piece. This was actually my summative for my Creative Writing class. I turned it in, knowing I was going to fail. But I actually received a perfect score, and to my surprise my teacher suggested submition to TeenInk. So here I am. Thanks!