The American Soldier | Teen Ink

The American Soldier MAG

When Time named Albert Einstein Man of theCentury, it was a good choice. But another person was considered who Ithink not only deserves to be person of the century but also hero of thecentury: the American soldier.

Who helped defeat the German armyin World War I? Who joined in stopping Hitler and his Nazi forces? Whomaintains peace on the North-South Korean border to this day? Who diedtrying to protect South Vietnam's freedom? Who restrained SaddamHussein? The American soldier.

The American soldier, of course,has not just fought wars. He has also preserved the peace, protected theweak and fed the hungry. The American soldier has not merely helped hisown nation's citizens but also all mankind in need. Killing to protectone's country and others' and risking one's life to maintain peace isnot a fun job but, in many cases, necessary. Somebody must do it, andthe American soldier does.

Kahlil Gibran, a Lebanese-Americanphilosopher and poet, wrote, "Safeguarding the rights of others isthe most noble and beautiful end of a human being." By sacrificing theirlives, American soldiers have saved millions and prevented thedestruction of our nation. If that is not the epitome of heroism, I donot know what is.

Choosing the American soldier as person ofthe century may seem generic or overly patriotic, but it is not.Patriotism is actually quite rare in our generation. For teens the majorwars of the last century are only facts and dates in history books. Yetmany of us know American soldiers - we have fathers who fought inVietnam and grandfathers who served in World War II. Talking to themabout their experiences will surely result in a dramatic transformation- sweet, frail Grandpa is a hero.

Though they may never befamous or household names, the men and women who served our country aremy choice for the people and heroes of the century.

biscl14 said...
If it were not for einstien we would have never defeated the japanesse in world war 2. Even if you say the american soldier could have your wrong. Could a soldier shoot down a plane with a M1 Garand or Tompson SMG?