Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today? | Teen Ink

Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today?

By ecortes07 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
ecortes07 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana

"Why is dystopian literature experiencing such a rise in popularity today?"  

Have you ever wondered why the dystopian literature is experiencing such a rise in popularity lately? Well I’m going to explain why and give you evidence of this of why Dystopian Literature is rising. My first point is Escape from reality. Why I believe this is because in the “Veldt” Citizens are perceived to be under constant surveillance. Here's an example of why I believe this. “One of the original uses of these rooms was so that we could study the patterns left on the walls by the child’s mind. We could study them whenever we wanted to, and help the child. In this case, however, the room has become a means of creating destructive thoughts, instead of helping to make them go away.” They (psychologists) can see what the kids are thinking and study their minds and the kids go to this room to escape reality and live in a virtual world and go wherever they want or feel.

More evidence is Technological Control. Here's some evidence from “The Veldt” The room was silent and empty. The walls were white and two dimensional. Now, as George and Lydia Hadley stood in the center of the room, the walls made a quiet noise and seemed to fall away into the distance. Soon an African veldt appeared, in three dimensions, on all sides, in color. It looked real to the smallest stone and bit of yellow summer grass. The ceiling above them became a deep sky with a hot yellow sun.”  The kids go to this room where no one else is and run away from their parents to go into their own world wherever they want as long as they think it.

My second point is Technology is taking over the world and here is some evidence from “Ten With A Flag.” “We rushed  along at speeds of over 2 hundred kilometers with no more than a meter separating our vehicles, our safety in the control of the central traffic computer”.  In this quote it shows that there whole world is controlled by one system and all the cars that are traveling are going the same speed and ect.

More evidence from “Harrison Bergeron” is that Freedom and Independent thoughts are restricted and here's a quote to back it up. “ A buzzer sounded in george’s head. His thoughts fled in panic, like bandits from a burglar alarm”. And there using that to restrict there freedoms and use technology to make everyone look the same and no one can be better.

My third point is View Of A Perfect World and here is some evidence from “Harrison Bergeron”. “They were equal every which way. Nobody was smarter than anybody else. Nobody was better looking than anybody else. Nobody was stronger or quicker than anybody else.” This is a good example because everyone in this world uses handicaps to stay the same. And they think this a perfect view of the world and everyone should be the same.

Some more evidence for my point from “Harrison Bergeron” is “It was then that Diana Moon Glampers, the Handicapper General, came into the studio with a double-barreled ten-gauge shotgun. She fired twice, and the Emperor and the Empress were dead before they hit the floor.” This is another good example because once again they have a view of perfect world and no one can be better than anyone. And if you break the laws they make you the same you are killed for it and forgotten about because you tried to be different from everyone else.

That’s all my evidence why I think dystopian literature is experiencing such a rise in popularity lately. All these points such as escaping from reality, technology and ect is interesting to other people because we are basically in the future and maybe one day we’ll be like this and some people feel the same way all these people feel in the story. Overall dystopian literature is experiencing a rise in popularity and it is going to to continue to rise and more movies and books are released about this topic.