Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today? | Teen Ink

Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today?

By AGreene12 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
AGreene12 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana

The question is always, “Why is dystopian literature experiencing such a rise in popularity” but no one asks, “How is their society similar to ours, and what between the book and the real-world is similar.” These stories are so in detail that teens are able to connect with the feelings and surroundings of the main character or families in these dystopian stories. Dystopian literature is experiencing such a rise because teens make up a large amount of global population, and the stories are so in detail, that they feel connected to the characters.

A lot of the time, people feel connected by the little things in these character’s lives and this helps the reader become connected to the main character. “They walked down the hall of their HappyLife Home, which had cost them thirty thousand dollars with everything included. This house which clothed and fed and rocked them to sleep and played and sang and was good to them. (Bradbury)“ Our society is becoming all too similar, we have things like the Google Home and Siri are 2 major AI’s that can connect to your house and run it for you. You can turn lights on and off, you can start your car, and can turn on things in the house like the television or computer. “‘Matter of fact, we’re thinking of turning the whole house off for about a month. Live sort of a happy family existence.’ ‘That sounds terrible! Would I have to tie my own shoes instead of letting the machine do it? And brush my own teeth and comb my hair and give myself a bath? (Bradbury)’”

Families connections are splitting because everyone is too caught up in technology to notice how anyone else is feeling or even talk face-to-face. “Who was it said, ‘Children are carpets, they should be stepped on occasionally’? We’ve never lifted a hand. They’re unbearable – let’s admit it. They come and go when they like; they treat us as if we were the children in the family. They’re spoiled and we’re spoiled. (Bradbury)” The moment that George Hadley realized the HappyLife Home he had installed completely changed his relationship with children, George Hadley had no further connection with his children and this resulted in him not spending time with them because they were so attached to this room. Lots of teens today are having a hard time with their parents, it’s because of this technology that these dystopias have and we have in our real world society. “One study found that when the working parent arrived home after work, his or her children were so immersed in technology that the parent was greeted only 30 percent of the time and was totally ignored 50 percent of the time. Another study reported that family time was not affected when technology was used for school, but did hurt family communications when used for social reasons. (Taylor)” Children are so caught up in technology to the point where teens and families are noticing it. People would rather talk to others over the phone instead of meet them in person and see how they’re feeling. This is how some dystopias are and this is how teens can feel related.

A lot of these dystopian societies think the world previous to them was horrible. Teens today definitely think the previous way of living before their existence was terrible, because there was not as advanced technology in the societies. “If I tried to get away with it," said George, "Then other people would get away with it and pretty soon we'd be right back to the dark ages again, with everybody competing against everybody else. You wouldn't like that, would you? (Bradbury)" Teens in 2018 wouldn’t enjoy living in the 80s or 90s because their technology wasn’t as developed as it was today and they don’t want to not be without their phone or computer. It all shows that they’re relating back to their society before it was, “Perfect.” “HeraldNet, a Washington newspaper, published an editorial examining the teen obsession with cell phones citing the findings from the CTIA and Harris survey, including one that ‘almost half of teens surveyed say they would ‘die’ without their mobile phones.’ The writer joked, ‘Thank goodness slightly more than half would manage to live if such a thing were to happen. Survival of the fittest and all that’” Teens can’t live without their phone and they can barely leave the house without their phone so imagine them being without it. They wouldn’t be able to function in the past without their phones or laptops.

In conclusion, teens are finding these books appealing on a mental and emotional level. This is important because adults aren’t fully understanding why teens are enjoying these books. They’re connecting on an emotional and psychological level to the characters in these dystopian societies and this results in them wanting to read more of these types of stories.

This piece is about my opinion on why dystopian literature is experiencing a rise in popularity and my reasons why.