Dystopian Literature | Teen Ink

Dystopian Literature

Dystopian literature has been around for a long time. People may think like 20 years or so but try since the early 19 hundreds. The popularity in Dystopian literature has become more popular over time. The dystopian literature population mostly comes from teens; and that brings us to this question: Why do teens tend to pick dystopian books more? I believe that dystopian literature has been picked more because teens think of their future and how their future could be impacted by society.

Dystopian literature is a type of literature that is futuristic and involves society. Dystopian literature is common to be science fiction, that is the reasoning for the futuristic parts of the literature. The word dystopian defined is “Relating to or denoting an imagined place or state in which everything is unpleasant or bad, typically a totalitarian or environmentally degraded one.” My evidence for that definition is that in dystopian literature there is always a society under control by a government or technology. Technology shows a big part in future ways of life.

The rise in dystopian literature has seen quite a rise so let's look at some statistics and show how it has been rising throughout the years. One of the quotes I found (By Kimiko de Freytas-Tamura) was  “One of the first dystopian novels to become famous was George Orwell's 1984, which is still one of the top-selling dystopian novels today”. This not only refers back to when I said “dystopian literature has been around since the 19 hundreds” this proves that it is still popular today. A statistic I found on (usatoday) (Author w.bruce cameron) is  “Since its publication in 2010, A Dog’s Purpose has sold 2.5 million copies.”That’s a lot of purchased books considering it’s only 2018.

After what was stated in the previous paragraph it brings us to question, do all teens read dystopian literature? I believe a wide variety of teens do read Dystopian literature mainly because the excitement of the stories plus the fiction snaches their attention right out of thin air! Now looking at it on a statistics side, let's look at how many teens read Dystopian literature. A lot of teens read dystopian literature, according to Francisca Goldsmith from readkiddoread. Some of these themes have been grabbing their attention: ”An imaginary future world or society, Tightly controlled inhabitants, conformity as good and individuality as bad, Lack of awareness by most that their circumstances are not utopian.”

Overall I believe that dystopian literature has seen a big rise in popularity and in my opinion I think it will continue to rise for years and years to come. If we look back we talked about why dystopian literature is rising. We also talked about why dystopian literature is so popular among young adults or teens. In the end I hope you comprehend why dystopian literature has seen a rise in popularity these days.

I like books