Dystopian Literature | Teen Ink

Dystopian Literature

February 5, 2019
By rfarmer19 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
rfarmer19 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dystopian stories have mesmerized their audiences for ages with tales of all kinds of adventure. Dystopian literature is were a society is ruled by the government and the civilians have to obey and live by the rules of the government. Dystopian literature has seen a rise in popularity because it connects with readers and gives a fascinating story where readers can see themselves taking part on the adventure of their dreams.


Many of these stories connect with young readers like teens because some of the main characters are teens. “The rising popularity of dystopian literature among adolescent audiences is prominent in today’s pop culture due to its relevance in young adult’s lives” (“The Rising Popularity of Dystopian Literature”). Adolescent connect to the stories, because the relevance it has with young adult’s lives and how they handle themselves in tuff situation. They connect with characters in the book, because they are in the same age group as the character. ‘"Harrison Bergeron, age fourteen," she said in a grackle squawk, "has just escaped from jail, where he was held on suspicion of plotting to overthrow the government. He is a genius and an athlete, is under-handicapped, and should be regarded as extremely dangerous"’(Vonnegut). In this section of the book, Harrison breaks out of jail and is evading the police even though he is 14 years old he is the strongest, athletic, and smartest person around. The police are scared of him and want to catch and kill him. All dystopian stories like the ones above connect to their young readers and put them in a world of their own fantasy.


Other readers connect to the book because the characters in the book are heroic, which make the readers look up to the hero. “The airtight system of the train holds humanity, sharply divided and deeply interconnected; it’s globalization shrunk down to snow-globe size” (Michael Morgan). This movie is liked by the audience because of its apocalyptic world and how the passengers of the train have to survive against the dystopian society they are put in. The main character is a courageous person and readers will enjoy reading this because they connect with this character and want to see him accomplish his goal. ”Not only were the laws of the land abandoned, but the law of gravity and the laws of motion as well. They reeled, whirled, swiveled, flounced, capered, gamboled, and spun. They leaped like deer on the moon. The studio ceiling was thirty feet high, but each leap brought the dancers nearer to it”(Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.). Readers like this part of the story because they like the action and how heroic the main character was when he was trying to succeed on his mission. His mission was to become emperor and with the abilities he had, he would of been a great one.  They hope to see the main character succeed because he tries to do the impossible with a heroic task. Many readers do connect with characters that are superhuman because it makes them feel like they are in the story and that makes them want the main character to accomplish his mission.


Throughout time dystopian stories have seen a rise in growth and popularity. “While The Giver was the first popular young adult dystopian novel, it has certainly not been the last” (Philip Stone). The first book, The Giver, was a success but it wasn’t the only book that made dystopian stories famous; in fact, many other books would also come to make dystopian literature famous. They have grown in fame because of their unique stories and how their stories connect with their readers. “Young adult dystopian series — Maze Runner, Divergent, Ready Player One, among countless more — dominate the shelves, bleeding into Hollywood” (Vonne Shiau). From The Giver to the Maze Runner many of these books have evolved due to young adults as well and adults liking dystopian literature leading to more books being made and further evolving to fit the need of readers. The readers then fall in love with these stories and buy more stories which lead to these stories becoming more famous. Many dystopian stories are famous because of how much the readers love the stories behind the actual book itself.


The popularity of dystopian stories rise because of how they connect with their readers and how they give a great story. Many readers love dystopian stories because they can connect with the characters and actually enjoy the book. Dystopian stories will continue to rise in fame because of its popularity amongst the people. The people love these stories and how they can connect to the characters in the stories or how great the stories are.


The author's comments:

It was an essay for my class work