Anxiety Must Be Noticed | Teen Ink

Anxiety Must Be Noticed

February 28, 2019
By JackieGranda25 BRONZE, Norcross, Georgia
JackieGranda25 BRONZE, Norcross, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


    Anxiety disorder, especially in teens has definitely increased over the years. In the article “Why Are More American Teenagers Than Ever Suffering From Severe Anxiety?” it reveals that Anxiety is the most common mental-health disorder in the United States, affecting nearly one-third of both adolescents and adults, according to the National Institute of Mental Health. Various amount of people in our society misunderstand Anxiety as a whole, because it is quite difficult to show symptoms of Anxiety. Some example, of the symptoms for Anxiety is feeling nervous, restless or tense, having a sense of impending danger, panic or doom, having an increased heart rate, breathing rapidly (hyperventilation), sweating, trembling, feeling weak or tired, trouble concentrating or thinking about anything other than the present worry, and having trouble sleeping.  For example, it is extremely visible when people have a fever or the common cold compared to Anxiety. Because teens with Anxiety keep silent about their problems. In the article “How to Help a Child With an Anxiety Disorder” the author Perri Klass states “Kathleen Merikangas, the senior investigator and chief of the Genetic Epidemiology Research Branch at the National Institute of Mental Health, said, “To me, anxiety is one of the most under recognized or under-treated conditions of childhood and adolescence.” These children can get missed, she said.” It is tremendously difficult to tell your feeling to someone who you don’t know thats a reason why numerous teens hide their dilemmas from the world. Causing them to suffer silently which would affect their future negatively. Mostly once you are stuck from all the negative thought it would be tough to reach for help or even think positive for once.

    Anxiety disorder is a real problem that everyone in the world should be aware about this issue. If adults are not acknowledge about their kids issues or troubles then their child could have depression or even anxiety. A large amount of things could cause teens to receive anxiety. Adults should at least check up on their child or even go to the doctor if you know something is up. In article “How to help a child with a Anxiety Disorder” the author mentions that “Parents should pay attention if a child can’t be left with a babysitter, a child can’t sleep alone at home.” which is true just pay attention to your child instead of ignoring their feelings. Also adults should be have knowledge about anxiety and their symptoms. Parents often assume that their children is going through some sort of “phase”and it shouldn’t be that way. It shouldn’t be that way Adults must at least try to understand their child issue. No one should suffer alone. If you truly believe that you have nearly all of these symptoms then find someone to talk about it. Also it is a humongous and unbelievable task to talk about your issues but if you are in a cycle of negativity and there's no way you can seem to reach out. Take a step and try to at least talk to someone about your issue because you are never alone on earth, even though it might seem so. Everyone is going through their own fight but at the same time we are assisting each other with our battles. So we should give awareness to elementary scholars about anxiety because then we could help them as soon as possible when they are diagnosed with anxiety.