DNA Testing : Necessary or Overstepping | Teen Ink

DNA Testing : Necessary or Overstepping

DNA testing in the criminal justice system is a highly debated topic in the community concerned with safety about whether or not the use of it is inhumane or helpful. Many say it oversteps the boundaries of citizens privacy, is ineffective, or even questions the efficiency of the process; but, all of these claims are debatable. The precautions that are taken to ensure that every test is factual and every criminal is caught is necessary for the justice system. DNA testing in the criminal justice system should be allowed because it is a useful resource in helping solve crimes that might not have been solvable without the technology.

DNA testing has a high accuracy rate of 99.9%. Others try to protest that the DNA testing done in so many labs happen to wrongly prosecute the innocent, but those pleading innocent can be exonerated after being wrongly prosecuted with a post - convicted test. The United States Department of Justice brings to our attention just how much intricate details goes into the process of testing, “Every effort that is made to reduce backlogs of untested evidence, to better equip forensic laboratories, to develop faster methods of analyzing samples, and to better train professionals in the use of DNA technology” (“USING-DNA”). The trained professionals go through every precaution to ensure the certainty of the test which gives little wiggle room for mistake. We also have to consider that the testing usually will be intermixed with others genetic make up; so, the technology used really is revolutionary and could go compact.  

Portable DNA testers, the size of a desktop printer you may have in your home, can solve urgent crimes before the infamous 48 hours. Officer’s in Orange County California have already tested out the tool that helped them solve a criminal on the loose. The Washington Post gave data on the tech explaining it has been on trial for 5 years in hopes to add a CODIS database with past criminals on file. They also confirmed that the machines gives officers quick answers; thus, putting more pressure on the criminal which makes them more likely to confess. Overall there is a clear reduction in inspection time with a handy way to do so. This technology is already so useful but, it adds another layer of comfort knowing that the ‘Rapid DNA Machine’ is capable of of being even more convenient and can reduce crimes.

DNA testing can have benefits to the environments of others. Crime in overpopulated cities has always been very dangerous, but accurate testing with long lasting results could be the answer to the problem. This is shown in a article Howard Safir wrote explaining that the DNA recovered and tested can not only ensure the perpetrator committed the crime, but as a result can reduce crimes in the area the offense took place in. This is because those prosecuted will get a longer sentence, going from months to years, if we know that they committed the crime. Safir even gives research on the burglaries in Denver, showing that after a criminal got caught using said technology, the crime rate in the city went down around 40%. The thought of a safer neighborhood in crime inhabited cities can be achieved with the right steps taken when we solve crimes whether it be burglaries or murders. Your community should feel serine and with these machines it can be possible.

In conclusion DNA testing is resourceful and could make crime solving easier for police officers. Crime will never stop but with the help of DNA testing in the Criminal Justice System rates of misdemeanors could plummet quickly. So with this said it just makes you think: do you really want a secure neighborhood with better resources, or would you be willing to risk your safety as well as others?

Works Cited

“ADVANCING JUSTICE THROUGH DNA TECHNOLOGY: USING DNA TO PROTECT THE INNOCENT.” The United States Department of Justice, 7 Mar. 2017, www.justice.gov/archives/ag/advancing-justice-through-dna-technology-using-dna-protect-innocent.

Safir, Howard. “DNA Technology as an Effective Tool in Reducing Crime.” Forensic Magazine, 14 June 2016, www.forensicmag.com/article/2007/10/dna-technology-effective-tool-reducing-crime.

“What Is DNA Fingerprinting? | DNA vs. Conventional Fingerprints.” All Criminal Justice Schools, www.allcriminaljusticeschools.com/forensics/dna-fingerprinting/. Accessed on 28 Mar, 2019.