Treating Students Equally May Not Always Be Best | Teen Ink

Treating Students Equally May Not Always Be Best MAG

"But if I give you the extra point, I have to give it to everyone."

How many times have you heard this expression? I'm sure most of you have, because a lot of teachers like to use it. It sometimes keeps that C+ from becoming a B-, or it keeps someone off the honor roll. Nearly all the time, it upsets the one person wanting the extra point. All the others could care less.

I, personally, don't believe in this statement. It groups all students together as one. I know that we have always been told that we are supposed to be treated equally, but isn't there a difference between a good student and a bad one? And if there is, shouldn't the better students get more leniency when it comes time for grades? I think they should.

Some teachers, not all, tend to agree with the statement, "Why should one student get a point, while another doesn't?" The answer is: there is a difference in students. I'm not only talking about grades, but also attendance and behavior.

For example, suppose there is a bright student who gets good grades, is quiet, and has only missed one day of school. When grades come out, he has an 89 average, which is a B+, but this student has A's in all other classes. So he asks if he could have an A-. Should he get the extra point? First, consider example two.

This student is pretty smart. He gets B's and a C or two. He's always making disrupting comments in class, making the other laugh. He's missed eight days out of the term. He has a 79 average and asks constantly for a B-. Should he get the point?

There is a clear difference between these two. One behaves and gets to class. The other likes to get attention and if he doesn't feel like it, misses a day of school. Most teachers would give both students their established grades because they feel guilty about giving a point to one and not the other. They don't think it's fair. Not fair to WHOM? To the student who makes outbursts and misses more than ten percent of the classes?

Doesn't the first student deserve some sort of reward for his good service? He has put in more, but some teachers won't give the extra point for the sole reason that "If I give you the extra point, I have to give it to everyone." Some teachers have already gotten rid of this phrase, but it's time to make it obsolete. Let's face it, students shouldn't always be treated equally. The student who behaves should get that extra point. He shouldn't miss out on an A because some other kid doesn't deserve it.

I hope that teachers are reading this. I know there are some out there who believe that all students should be treated equally all the time. But that's wrong. If you don't give the extra point for other reasons, that's fine. But don't use the old excuse, "But if I give the extra point, I have to give it to everyone." That one is wearing off. ?

SerenityMine BRONZE, Not Saying, California
Yes, that's what I think too. And I certainly don't mean it in a bad way, because I'm in that situation right now too. :) I have all A's except for one 89% that's giving me a B+, but I know that I could have tried harder to ensure that I got that point. It wouldn't be just for a teacher to give an extra point where it hasn't been earned, in my opinion.

&Singoutloud said...
Hmm, i get what your saying. I used to think like that, but as I started getting more experience in the real world, I began to become more talkative and it helped me communicate better with teacher and everyone. So no, kids who are loud shouldn't be punished or denied a grade raise and kids who are quietly always doing their work dont deserve a grade raise. Why? Many teachers have said when I was young, "your too quiet, you'd better change". and it just doesn't make sense. Grades are there for a reason, If 1 point what gonna change your grade significantly, Im more than positive the quiet student will be able to plan a few weeks ahead to guarentee themselves that change. :)

massacre said...
massacre, Lakewood, Washington

"Hate is a word for somebody you love but no longer believe in."

I agree with you, Sandra. I am one of those students that try to get all A's, but if I get an A-, then I wasn't paying attention/didn't study that material enough. Just because I have perfect attendance doesn't mean that I should be able to get more points. It would by my own fault.

RadiahMariaBelak BRONZE, Singapore, Other
as in, i agree to the author of this story. :p

Yupp, i agree. 

Sandra said...
Not necessarily - in my opinion, neither student should get the point. Not because of the, "If I give you the extra pint, I have to give it to everyone" argument, but because the A student didn't get that 90% or above, he doesn't get the A (or whatever constiutes as an A in that class). Why should he just get an extra point for nothing? So he pays attention and tries. That's what you're supposed to do - it doesn't grant you some special privilege of bumping up your grade when you have a B+. If your teacher gives you the point because of whatever reason - great. If they don't, you don't really have a right to complain.