Racism | Teen Ink

Racism MAG

Life is rarely, if ever, fair. It pushes you around, gives you a pop quiz in math, then kicks you while you're down, spilling chocolate milk on your new shirt during lunch. I think everyone knows what I'm talking about: you come up with a great answer to the question in class, and your neighbor steals the idea, receiving the teacher's praise. Sometimes it's all you can do to just grin and bear it.

With all the heartbreak and disappointment life dishes out, there is one thing life did not bring upon us: racism. Racism, one of the deadliest diseases ever to traverse the face of the earth, is one of the few inequities that man has created. Racism is the scourge of the earth, brought on by pure hatred. Why is it, with all the things we have already in life, that we can't all put aside the color of our skin?

I agree that not all people are racists. However, before we can live in a world devoid of racial hatred, we must be rid of the "well, it's not our fault" syndrome. Granted it may not be your fault, but what are you doing to stop it? By putting the blame on others, you are simply compounding the problem. Instead of dodging the race bullet, why not meet it head on, stopping it in its tracks before it strikes?

Second, people must realize that racism starts with the smallest joke, the most insignificant utterance of a six-letter word. Racism is a disease spread by word of mouth. A young child often emulates a parent or older sibling, and hearing this word spoken can send the wrong message. Again, instead of being a bystander, why not take the situation into your own hands?

The biggest problem America has is not the racist, but the people who stand by and let racism continue. Like rubber-neckers at a horrific accident scene, bystanders only add to the problem instead of helping those involved. Do not begin to blame others for racism until you yourself have done everything in your power to stop it.

Before racism can ever be cured, people must realize that racism is everyone's fault and can therefore only be cured by a joint effort. Racist feelings and sentiments have been building in this country. If they continue to grow, there can be only one to end it: bloodshed on both sides. ?

chrisjana said...
chrisjana, Daytona, Florida
Chrisjana 7th- This article shows the abruptness and importance of how awful racism is. this article shows the disease spread by word of mouth called the battle of the race. I completely agree how in today's society racism is passed so lightly and easily, but instead of stopping a comment or simple joke, bystanders decide to laugh it off and walk away from the problem. this is how it continues to be an issue because some people use racial terms towards people of color and get away with it because it may seem funny or not important enough to be fused. I believe the problem should be solved by bystanders hearing or seeing someone being racially harassed, should say something to help such person instead of laughing and being a part of the problem. it is time to stop walking over the issue and time to speak up about a global issue.

angelinamartinez03, Daytona Beach, Florida
angelina martinez- i agree with this blog completely. racism is so wrong. people should be put down for the color of their skin or where they come from. but it can’t be avoided completely. everyone’s going to have an opinion no matter what. they just need to change that negative mindset. everyone is human and deserves respect.

FuentesA said...
FuentesA, Daytona Beach, Florida
This statement is very eye opening it makes people realize that everyone is at fault for what goes on in the world and one of the main topics that everyone likes to brush away is racism, it has been around for years of people judging others because of how they look , act, and what they believe in and that will never go away if people do not start making a change in the world and speak up for what's right.

Noris79 said...
Noris79, Daytona Beach, Florida
I truly agree with this article, no one is born racist some people just simply decide to support racism, and the only way to get rid of this '' disease '' in the world is by loving and respecting each other and by understanding that the value of a person is not determined by the skin color or race, every human life matters and contributes in one way or other incredible things to this world.

ricardo0110 said...
ricardo0110, Daytona Beach, Florida
Ricardo- The text has many points to say, it is true for some being of color is like having AIDS but for others it could be a nightmare, but if it is true that in the USA it is not racist, the citizens who continue to believe in this are still the ignorant mimes that They make people believe that, we are all equal of any race or color, we are different but we are all human and for me it is not just changing your mind and your heart to be able to progress.

Andystars18 said...
Andystars18, Daytona Beach, Florida
racism is a disease, I can agree with that. with almost everyone hating each other for no reason is just sad. why would people hate someone just because they're different? racism is the reason no other races would be friends. we all feel, act, and live the same ways like any other person can do. we're all different and unique in our own ways. so answer me this everyone, "where is the love?"

BraydanB said...
BraydanB, Daytona Beach, Florida
I agree with this article tremendously. Racism is something that can't go away but it can be prevented. Saying a little comment that doesn't sound racist may be racist. Everyone needs to know their limitations when it comes to race. I believe that certain people can not get over the differences of others and see all as one. Overall, racism is a problem that has been going on for years and it can be stopped if others but in the effort to stop it.

1qsmh said...
1qsmh, Daytona Beach, Florida
I agree that life isn't fair. You never know when one is talking about you. We the people make racism grow and worse that it already is. Ones comment could be taken in the wrong way but not attentionally. We have to think bout others feelings before giving our opinion. We have to come together to decrease racism but it will never go away.

Miya02 said...
Miya02, Daytona Beach, Florida
I agree that the biggest problem with racism is the ability to be accepted. also, we should all come together and try to bring it to an end but without joint effort, it could become a big problem. Furthermore, it becomes small until it starts to affect the world and how we live. However, by blaming each other the problem will never be fixed and it will continue to get worse. If we take fault for our actions with racism the faster it will come to a stop. Therefore, it will be better for us to take control than for it to get out of control and we can't do anything about it.

Mika23 said...
Hello. My thesis "Slavery and racism" has come to the end.So,in my last chapter,  an analyse about slavery and racism ,i would like to take a survey , so i need your help.If you'd like to share your personal opinions about this subject,i would be very thankful.

austenite77 GOLD, Appleton, Wisconsin

Die my dear? Why that's the last thing I'll do

Very well written, I agree. I feel the solution to almost all the worlds worst problems is just acceptence. Accepting people for who they are, even if you are the most racist person ever. Just let people be.