What You Need to Know About Education | Teen Ink

What You Need to Know About Education

May 20, 2019
By Gem.w GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
Gem.w GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

What I’ve been taught by my parents, teachers and the society since the first lesson of my education is to work hard on school lessons and get into a good college. They told me a hundred times that getting into a good college will make a huge difference to my life. Therefore, in my unconscious mind, I only know that I need to study really hard. I need to get into a college and then I’ll be successful. But do I really believe in that way? I never liked studying; I never enjoyed school work; I never understand the meaning of study hard. The mainstream values brainwashed me to do so. They never told me what is real education and how it will benefit me in my life. It’s undoubtful that compare to these give up on further education after high school, bachelor graduates or higher diploma graduates are easier to get a high-paid job. But we should not be aware of this after we achieve success.

If somebody tells me what the education can give me is not only a flash diploma and a high-paid job but also the development of the way of thinking, I would be more willing to study. I used to question why we need to learn these subjects. I won’t solve algebra when I pay my bills; I won’t need to figure out the flow speed of the water when I travel by ship; I won’t be asked to freestyle a poem when I meet my boss. I questioned myself until I realized the real difference education made to me. The way I judge right or wrong and good or bad and how I look upon them are more tolerant. I was taught by education to respect every possibility. My way of thinking supports me to understand why this possibility happens. For example, I understand that the possibility of gay genes exists on a person just as same as a person picks a red skittle from a skittle pack. A person being gay is understandable. But some blind comments on the internet tells me that such kind of possibility is negated by some groups. These small possibilities are seen as unacceptable. Meanwhile, these opinions are influencing more and more people who are not educated to think independently. They listen to whatever they heard but never think by themselves. However, this kind of lessons that education taught me is invisible and undetectable. It happens on every day and everywhere. This is also what it benefits me most---molding me to an independent person.

 Therefore, I want to have a college life instead of assimilating into society. I want this chance to get in touch with more possibilities and wild my eyes. Here I am going to conclude that the main advice to you that I want to give today is to keeping receiving education. It is everybody’s right to decide to go to college or not. But this decision might lead you to a totally different life and mold a different you. Even though you have to leave school, don’t forget to study and think individually. This is also advice to myself. You may learn from a book, a movie or even a sudden glance. People around you may also affect you to a different attitude. Making positive friends who always motivate you to be affirmative. You may need a high efficient friend, but you may not need a whole bunch of friend only talk about bad things with you behind others. There is not any absolutely right view of life and value, but they definitely have one same direction and an agreed principle.

      Education happens every time and every day.

      Education could be everything.