The House That Built Me | Teen Ink

The House That Built Me

When I think about my childhood at any period, the best periods and the worsts, I think about the house I grew up in. I think many people cherish their childhood houses and cars because your childhood is when and where you made most of your friends and memories and everyone at some point in time has wanted to relive those moments and memories. My Childhood House, The house that built me, 1026 Hawkstone Dr. was a two story house filled with 4 other kids a golden retriever named cooper and the ‘07 Suburban parked in the driveway along with the ‘08 Taurus wagon or Taurus X. The best memories I ever had was playing with my brothers and sisters with the Tiemeyers (mainly Jeb and Jay, occasionally Kara and Grayson) playing Kickball in the Cul-de sac and all the other kids from around the neighborhood would come to our house and play kickball and then talk on our porch afterwards. My main memories of my childhood always consisted of everyone coming to our house or the next door neighbors house, the Tiemeyers. Our houses were like the gathering places for the neighborhood, even parents and adults gathered around our house for parties. Each room in the house has so many memories even today when I walk in certain rooms and hear a noise or smell something it brings me back to a certain place in time. The other day I walked into the basement and saw the bench press we used to use as a fort combined with some chairs and blankets, I instantly was brought back in my mind to those days and started having more flashbacks from 2012. I think as I get older more memories like this will be produced out of this house. In fact I have memories from just last year that I can just picture in my head. As life moves on I’ve started to notice even periods I typically did not like in my life I am finding memories I can salvage from those times. Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.