Cutting Is Not a Joke | Teen Ink

Cutting Is Not a Joke

By CharlotteRotlander BRONZE, Ny, New York
CharlotteRotlander BRONZE, Ny, New York

So, again, it isn’t a controversial statement. Children treat slitting their wrists as another layer to their personalities. It isn’t. It’s a problem. It’s playing with fire, cutting inches away from major arteries. Slitting wrists isn’t something to be revered. Thirteen year olds shouldn’t comparing wounds as if they were battle scars.

This isn’t some weird problem that effects two kids in Alaska. I can name six of my friends (I don’t have many friends so that means a lot) who slit their wrists and bond over it. I can’t do much except roll my eyes and tell them that this isn’t a joke, but it scares me. Any one of these friends is two cuts away from suicide watch, which, I’ve been told, is not fun. Yeah, I also have a friend on suicide watch.

Cutting is not a valid answer to any problem. It may feel like a temporary solution, but that’s just it. It’s temporary. Eventually, we get used to the feeling of the cuts and crave more and more each time. The high we get from our own scars will eventually destroy us.