Should Teens Be Tried As Adults | Teen Ink

Should Teens Be Tried As Adults MAG

By Anonymous

   Should teenagers be tried as adults? Opinions differ. Some people argue that teenagers don't know what they are doing when they commit a crime and are still too young to comprehend what is right and wrong. I totally disagree. I am old enough to know that committing a crime is wrong and that if I commit one, I will be punished. Anyone who says teens can't tell right from wrong is either too old to remember what being a teenager is like or they are a teenager who has committed a crime and don't want to be tried as an adult. In either case, they are wrong. All teens know that killing is wrong, yet they do it anyway and get away with a light sentence because of their age. Even if a teen didn't know it was wrong, it doesn't mean it's right. They should still be punished. If they aren't, they willthink that crimes are okay and continue to commit them.

Teens today don't fear the law because they don't think they will get caught. And if they do, they know they have a good chance of getting off because they are tried as teens and not adults. We have to get tougher on crime. There should be a law that everyone over eleven years old will be tried as adults. That way more teens would be discouraged from committing crimes. They would know that murder would get them a very long sentence instead of staying in juvenile hall until they are eighteen. If we want to cut down on teen crime, we have to have tougher laws. ?





Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 323 comments.


on Apr. 18 2011 at 1:00 pm
jennywalsh24 SILVER, Woodbridge, Virginia
5 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Hope is alive as long as the sun exists." -Me

I agree that teens should be tried as adults. But, only for major crimes, like murder. But, if a teen steals something(like a keychain) from a store,they should be tried as teens.But if a teen stole something bigger,the punuishment should be more severe.

on Apr. 18 2011 at 12:09 pm
WritingAngel20 BRONZE, Ardmore, Alabama
3 articles 0 photos 36 comments

Favorite Quote:
"In order to suceed, your desire for success must be greater than your fear of failure" -Bill Cosby

I believe that if you kill somebody, uh, you should go to jail, and keep in mind, while age may be a contributing factor, the severity of the crime is a factor as well, the youngest age to be tried as an adult where I'm at is twelve and trust me, you don't want a twelve year old walking the streets after they just committed murder, for real. Also a ten year old choked a little boy (Mary Bell, you may know her) and was put in a detention center but was retried because of her age and has a kid and has never killed again and it's shown that lots of girl killers, as far as I know, kill because of abusive parents or something like that.

on Apr. 18 2011 at 12:13 am
Victoria Bowman BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
4 articles 0 photos 3 comments
I believe the point of teens being tried easier is a matter of how a teen's mind works. While teens have an idea of right and wrong and are fully capable of distinguishing the two, they may not always realize the extent to their actions. They know a crime is bad, but do they understand why? Do they comprehend the full  responsibilities to their actions? Possibly, but why should every teen, regardless of intelegence or ability, be shackled to being tried as an adult when they did not fully understand the consequences.

on Apr. 15 2011 at 8:52 am
teens are not stupid you are if you say that

eagle said...
on Apr. 14 2011 at 6:31 pm
If kids in my class (10th grade) are able to smoke weed (illegaly) in the morning before school, somewhat mask the smell, hide some in a secret compartment in their shoe and get some eye drops via 5 finger discount and get connections to avoid being caught by dogs on the days they bring them in im thinking for some reason they have some idea what they are doing and that if they get caught they will get the full punishment available. Thats just me, i mean anyone not in highschool or jr high probably doesnt know what its like now, its a whole new ball game.

eagle said...
on Apr. 14 2011 at 6:26 pm
well your screen name is offensive, i am 15, but i agree with you, but only major offenses.

eagle said...
on Apr. 14 2011 at 6:23 pm
um im 15, if i would kill someone right now id almost expect the chair or jailtime depending on the brutality. I dont care about the voting drinking and driving, if those are the things you talk about.

stupidteens! said...
on Apr. 11 2011 at 5:00 pm
ANY BODY WHO IS SMART ENOUGH TO THINK OF A WAY TO KILL SOMEONE, OR COME UP WITH A STRATEGIC PLAN SHOULD BE TRIED AS AN ADULT.  NO MATTER WHAT AGE THEY ARE, IF THEY ARE ABLE TO COMMIT A CRIME AND KNOW THAT THEY CAN GET AWAY WITH IT BECAUSE OF THE AGE DIFFERENCE THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR ACTIONS! USING THE EXCUSE OF TEEN BRAINS NOT BEING FULLY DEVELOPED IS NONSENSE, IF THEIR BRAINS ARE FULLY DEVELOPED TO COMMIT A CRIME THEN THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO TAKE THE PUNISHMENT.

laurenz GOLD said...
on Mar. 27 2011 at 1:51 pm
laurenz GOLD, Phoenix, Arizona
12 articles 11 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Writing is not a job, something you do. It’s something you are, something you can’t not be. Being a writer is … about being so bewitched by language that writing seems real, and life by comparison feels like a dream." ~ Adair Lara

Of course a teenager is not a child; he or she is old enough to comprehend cause-and-effect relationships and know the consequences of breaking the law.

But consider the fact that teenagers do not have the developmental capabilities of critical thinking that adults possess.  The prefrontal cortex - involved in complex decision making and regulation of emotions - does not fully develop until a person is about 21.

Now consider the implications of having a brain with an underdeveloped emotion regulation center.  Teenagers make decisions based on responses from the emotional centers of their brain, like the amygdala.  So if teenagers are extremely overwhelmed, upset, or angry, they may make an impulsive decision without actually being about to consider the consequences.

It is easy to say that teenagers understand right-and-wrong and cause-and-effect.  But looking at the actual structure and abilities of a teenage brain, it becomes clear that they can't be tried on the same level of adults.  A teenage brain works under different rules than an adult's; thus the rules for their consequences should be differentiated accordingly.


coxknowsbest said...
on Mar. 24 2011 at 8:03 pm
you all are forgetting to think of the mental state of that adolescent and you guys are just folcusing on one side of the coin.... you all are thinking....OH WELL THEY DON"T HAVE ANYTHING WRONG" imagine if there is any emotional scarring...

John_L. BRONZE said...
on Mar. 15 2011 at 9:21 pm
John_L. BRONZE, McMinnville, Tennessee
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There are two things which are infinite: The universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

I mostly agree. Anyone of high school age (i.e., 14 to 17) should know right from wrong. Why shouldn't they be tried as an adult.

 

We actually, there's an answer to that: Teenagers AREN'T viewed as adults in the eyes of the law. If they're tried as adults, they would have to have other rights and privileges as adults. (In my mind, anyway. Otherwise that borders age discrimination.)

 

So is there a middle ground? I think so. Let's say, perhaps, that teens will still be tried as adults, and have a verdict issued against them as if they were an adult. Then, however, the punishment is reduced by some degree to compensate (obviously, not as much as it is now). Maybe someone under 18 would get punished to the tune of 67% of the consequence an adult would get. This seems fair.

 

I do agree with the overall principal though... So many of my acquaintances have shoplifted it's unreal...


codes said...
on Mar. 11 2011 at 12:45 pm
well if they get tried for murder as an adult they will stop, but if it's a robbery they'll keep doin it over and over. now if it's a robbery and they get tried by adults then something will click in that persons head then he'll think twice

wysopalman said...
on Mar. 11 2011 at 2:19 am
if teens had the same right sas adults i could see the argument but its hypocripsy to deny teens things they want to do because they don't know whats good for them then to turn around and hold them acountable as an adult saying they know fully well whats right and wrong.

jess said...
on Mar. 8 2011 at 6:26 pm
i agree with Allthegoodnamesaretaken.yeah,teens get affected by that stuff but they dont have to let it bother them.i dont.i dont listen to the high schoolers & jr highers.so im not bothered bythat stuff.i just do what i know is right.i dont listen to gossip or anything else that goes around school & i dont think anyone else should either

stay real said...
on Mar. 8 2011 at 2:40 pm
really?/ well yeah there's a lot when it comes to be a teen, i am one but please we know from right or wrong so instead of letting drugs or other issues in our teen life affect us to a point to do someting wrong, we should step up and learn from it. everyone has had bad times or bad life at all but it doesn't mean that then out wrong actions have an excuse.  the only excuse on teens are the hormones cuz Adults also face big pressure, like the support of their families, not just the main but their parents too, also alcohol or drugs as well. Think about it twice, there's not excuse, step up and be a man. 

love2012 said...
on Mar. 7 2011 at 3:51 pm
its supposed to be an e instead of i

mizzshantel said...
on Mar. 7 2011 at 1:34 pm
I agree with you if you can think of murdering someone then you and go to prison. there is to much tv that explain the consequenceses on murder or any other criimal actions.

killa247 said...
on Mar. 7 2011 at 10:18 am
smd who ever think that

on Mar. 5 2011 at 9:08 pm
Slightly-Sane SILVER, Glenwood, Utah
9 articles 0 photos 2 comments
Is this from the recent LD topic?

on Mar. 5 2011 at 8:50 pm
Allthegoodnamesaretaken BRONZE, OKC, Oklahoma
4 articles 0 photos 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
Through every dark night, there's a bright day after that. -Tupac

I disagree. I'm a teen so I know that teens know right from wrong but that's not really the arguement. The more important arguement is that teens are affected by: hormones, peer pressure, alcohol & drugs (admit it, most of us have already started all that & it affects us more cuz we're JUST NOW strting it), arrogance, the need for freedom, anger, etc. more than adults. I agree with that. I'm not affected so much by peer pressure, but I will admit the rest have affected me and made me want to commit crimes. Not major like murder but maybe something small like stealing, MAYBE assault, etc. and if u say youve never thought about commiting a crime, your straight up lying to me. So no, I totally disagree. I think we should be punished but not to the same extent as adults.