Parents: Leave Me Alone! | Teen Ink

Parents: Leave Me Alone! MAG

Have you ever felt that the biggest problem in your life was your parents? Did you ever feel that they were getting on your nerves and all you wanted to do was to disappear into thin air? Well, to answer these questions, I felt that way plenty of times.

It seems to me that my parents have been put on earth to follow my every move since the day I was born. I am sixteen years old and come from a strict, Catholic family. I get along great with my parents, but sometimes they push me too far. Everytime I go out with my friends, they have to know who I'm with, where I'll be, what school they go to, how old they are, etc., etc. The questions don't stop. I could probably write a book with the questions they ask me.

They are extremely overprotective, and do I mean extremely. I bet if they could keep me in the house every day, they would, but in reality they can't because they know I couldn't live without a social life. I used to go to a public school, but when my parents realized that I was having fun rather than actually studying, they sent me to a private school so I could concentrate and get a good education.

Now that I have grown up and realize the dangers in life, I kind of understand where they are coming from. I guess they're afraid I might get pregnant, raped, or killed, but I think I am responsible enough to avoid these problems. It's just that I don't like it when they constantly aggravate me and give me all these rules to follow. It seems as if their rules go on forever. Whatever I do, there is a rule.

I keep telling them that I am not a baby anymore, that I am old enough to make choices and that if they keep making choices for me I will never be independent in the real world.

After all this complaining, I know that I can't change the way they are, but I know something that will never change: I will always love them. They get me angry but I know that they want the best for me and that they want me to have a good life in the future.

When I think about being a mother, I would probably be in my parents' shoes, always sticking my nose in my children's business. Oh well! Parents are parents. You have to deal with them sooner or later, right? In the future, my children will have to deal with me. I don't even want to think about that because I might be even worse than my parents are now. ?