The American Fear | Teen Ink

The American Fear MAG

The American Fear by T. M., Quincy, MA

The Olympics. A time when countries come together in peace and harmony, setting all their differences aside to have fun. Well, not this year. Forget the sports, the object of these winter games is to see who can knock off their teammates first and win the gold. Why not dump the running of the torch and run with an iron crowbar instead. Yes, let's make this year's Olympics a painfully fun experience for all.

The Nancy Kerrigan-Tonya Harding "brawl" is the key ingredient that has turned this year's Olympics sour. How can you skate for your country while devising a plan to hurt the other knee of your fellow American teammate. How can you stand on the platform, the Star Spangled Banner ringing through yours ears and know you and your medal may be hauled off to jail. Kind of makes you proud to be an American, doesn't it!

What has happened to our society? What has enraged this country to pick up guns and aim them at the innocent hearts of others? What has made us paint the walls of our country with swastikas and vengeful words? What has made us hate?

When I was a little girl, I was told that HATE was a very strong word. You should never hate anyone, but show them love and respect. Show love to a child molester? Show respect for a serial killer?

Today, hate and fear have replaced our naive days of love. It is no longer safe to walk alone, it is no longer safe to drive with your doors unlocked. The fear of what could happen traps us in the warm, safe, comfort of our homes. But is that even safe? The terrifying Polly Klass story makes us all wonder. The days of seeing children play outside alone are gone. The days of walking to the corner store no longer exist. Violence has taken away our courage, our freedom and our days and nights of innocence.

rain_sunshine BRONZE, Washington, District Of Columbia

"While we're waiting, envious time is fleeing. Seize the Day! Put no trust into the future."
~Horace

Wow. I totally agree. Everything in the world these days is controlled and powered by fear and violence. its crazy. does anyone even remember when life was completely peaceful? I sure don't.