Question ... | Teen Ink

Question ... MAG

I've been wondering what other students think about what age a teenager should be treated as an adult when charged with committing a murder. The reason I ask is because a 16-year-old boy in my community allegedly killed a girl with a bat because she didn't want to go out with him. The question raised is: should this "murderer" be tried as an adult or should the kid be sent to DYS?

I think that there shouldn't even be a question. Once teenagers are fourteen, I think that they should be treated as adults because by that age they should know what they are doing.

So, my question is: at what age do you think a teenager should be tried as an adult in a murder case? n

Green8a8 SILVER, NY, New York

im the author of my life, unfortunately im writing in pen therefore i can't erase nothing about it.-by some crazy friend of mine

i see what you mean, but you have to understand that that maybe that kid had some problems at home too. But i have also doubt some of my own responses because some kids aren't morally thought and don't really know what to do at an age of 16, specially at that age because of the reason of our hormones(its actually been sientifically proven that we go through some mental thing at our teen years.) But i see where you're coming from. I think that in a case ike that they should be able to look into the case and the kids background. But i completely see where you're coming from.

i agree, 14 is an adult choosy age. however, most "adults" would believe that only 18 year olds should get an adult trial.we have all heard the argument before, your parents say you can't live on your own or make your own desicions until you are an adult, or 18, so this is an arguement for the jury.[us]. I'd say he be tried as an adult because he intended to kill her.

snoopy_lover said...
that is horrible.why would he kill her.

was he high or something?

lville08 said...
I think this is a great question that can spark a lot of debate, because many people belive that until you reach a certain age your brain cant fully comprehend the consquences that may follow your actions; personally I think if the kid was eight he should have been tried as an adult, he committed an adult crime he should be punished as one would. If he was mature enough to do the crime he should be mature enough to face the consequences. The punishment should always fit he crime not the criminal.