Mr. Miller Educator of the Year Nomination | Teen Ink

Mr. Miller Educator of the Year Nomination

For my Educator of the Year nomination I am nominating Mr Miller, a math teacher at HB dupont Middle School. Mr. Miller teaches 8th grade math and is one of the best teachers I have ever had. He makes every student feel important and worthy of greatness. He clearly wanted every student in his class to succeed. On top of that he is a very empathetic person that is ready to help people if they are struggling and need tutoring.

A staple Mr. Miller trait is that he thinks that every kid in his class is worthy of amazing things in the future, and he doesn’t try to hide it. He never picked favorites and he treated every student the same, even if you were “disliked” by other teachers. Although he is a kind man, he isn’t going to put up with people if they behaved like a fool because he didn’t want it to detract from what his students were learning. But even then he thought of them as a not only a student but a friend and an equal. Something else that you may not know about Mr. Miller is that he wants every single person who ever entered his class to succeed. They don’t even have to be students!

One of the things that Mr. Miller is known for was how much faith he had in every single student. No matter who they were, he thought of them the same way as everyone else even if they weren’t most teacher’s favorite student. He has very high expectations for every one in his class, and he isn’t going to let anyone jeopardize their future. Did you know that  Mr Miller is also a very empathetic person and is always there to help.

Something that is left rather unappreciated about Mr. Miller is that he is one of the only teachers I had that taught us the material in a way that wasn’t totally painful to sit through, and it was easy to understand for all the students. We would learn something in interactive ways such as whiteboards, or word problems, or word problems with whiteboards!  And if that wasn’t entertaining enough, if a student an answer right or, at the very least tried their hardest, they received and piece of candy from an assortment of small fun-sized candy. We also played games and worked frequently with partners of our choice, but only if he trusted that it wouldn’t get out of hand.

In conclusion, my nomination for Educator of the Year goes to Mr. Miller for believing that everyone is destined for greatness. He treated everyone in his class equally, and he taught the material in a fun way that also allowed us to grasp it easily. My nomination goes to a person that I believe is incredibly underappreciated in his field. Mr Miller is a very respectable educator, one that I feel deserves a nomination for an award such as this.