Jfk - The Controversy | Teen Ink

Jfk - The Controversy MAG

On December 20, 1991, Oliver Stone, maker of such controversial films as "Born on the Fourth of July," "The Doors" and "Platoon," released his new film, "JFK." Stone brought back the bloody, frightening horror of November 22, 1963 in much detail, even cutting down trees so they matched the assassination scene. Even though I wasn't alive in 1963 to witness the assassination, I know that we lost a great leader who was shot in cold blood by an assassin or assassins.

Basically "JFK" is the story of Jim Garrison, a New Orleans District Attorney who dared to bring those he thought were JFK's real assassins to justice. Garrison was ridiculed by everyone: the CIA, the FBI, and the press. Garrison felt that the government was not telling the truth about the assassination and was covering up the most important pieces of the puzzle. Garrison didn't think that every "piece of the puzzle" fit together, so he started his own search for the truth in New Orleans by interviewing people the Warren Commission mentioned in their report.

Garrison is the only man to bring one of JFK's alleged conspirators to trial. Clay Shaw, director of the International Trade Mart (where Kennedy was going on Nov. 22) was the man Jim Garrison brought to trial in 1969. Even though Garrison lost the case, he won't give up until JFK's assassin or assassins are brought to justice.

I recently saw "JFK" and read Jim Garrison's book that inspired the movie, On the Trial of the Assassins. Both, I feel, are very well done. I do not believe that this movie should be considered so controversial. I believe that this is one man's opinion, based on many people's research and theories. Sure a lot of people are saying that Oliver Stone "changed the face of history," but all he did was to state his theory, like many other Americans who have studied the assassination.

I don't think that Stone should be criticized; he should be commended for being so daring. This is exactly what happened to Jim Garrison in 1969 when he brought Clay Shaw to trial. Both men should be commended for trying to show the citizens of the United States that the Warren Commission Report may not be complete. There are many other theories and certainly many discrepancies in the Warren Commission Report, and we do not have to accept the report as truth. We also do not have to accept the movie as truth. n