On Being Strange V | Teen Ink

On Being Strange V MAG

I'd like to say that I can relate to Eric Osborne, Jen Wilson, Lauren Emerson, Nicole Adams and Mike iColclough when they say that they do not fit it. I'm a 15-year-old girl and, as much as I try, I will never be in the in-crowd or be popular.

My problem started in the seventh grade and has just progressed. I write to a lot of pen pals because, there, I find people who like me for who I am, not how cool I am.

Now, in the tenth grade in Revere High School, I feel more left out than ever. I'm very shy and I only have a couple of close friends. Oh, sure, I say hi to most of the kids in my class, but I never carry on a conversation with them.

I've never had a boyfriend and I haven't had a guy like me for three years. I guess that's my own fault. I suppose if I tried really hard, I could be pretty, but I feel it's a waste of time because most people will always remember me for the way I look and dress now.

It's a shame I have to go through my high school years, which are supposed to be the best years of my life, feeling miserable. I've thought about suicide, but once I'm out of high school, I'll never see most of these kids again. I just wish the kids could learn to accept me for who I am, instead of just treating me like I'm a weirdo. But, I guess that's their problem if they can't accept someone who's a little different from them. n

fortheloveofwriting GOLD, A Place, Oklahoma

"Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life."
~Pablo Picasso

Love is patient, love is kind; it does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
1 Corinthians 13:4
A man's ways are his own, but the LORD weighs the heart.

I definitely agree! I'm sorry things are hard right now, but God thinks of you as beautiful as you are!

For those of you who disagree, please keep your comments to yourself, thanks:D

amybug said...
amybug, Penrose, Colorado

"Always remeber there was nothing worth sharing like the love that let us share our name." -The Avett Brothers

Wow! I am so happy that you wrote that. I know exactly what you mean. Every day I go to high school I keep waiting for someone to jump out at me and say suprise the amazingness of high school has arrived. If you ever think of suicide talk to somebody, you can't go it alone. Don't give up! One day somebody will realize how amazing you are. You are so brave to write this!