Youth Lost??? | Teen Ink

Youth Lost??? MAG

I am writing in response to R. S.'s article, "Youth Lost" in the December issue. Ms. S. tells us to "resist...rebel against the rules." She equates this rebellion with partying. Unfortunately, that type of resistance is only superficial. Society may tell us to do one thing, but it fully expects us to do another. Look at the way high school students are portrayed on television - what do they do? They cheat in school and have parties on the weekends. That's not rebellion if they (or we) end up giving into society's rules later on.

If we really want to make our lives more than mediocre, we must take action that truly breaks society's mold. Don't just party - question the values of the sexist, racist, environmentally destructive, materialistic, repressive society we live in. Do something to change the world. The world is "ours to shape," but we will not do it by partying.

Don't get the idea that I am an overly serious nay-sayer. I love to have fun, and I am notorious for turning the music up loud. But I don't see that as a major rebellion against society.

I believe that if we really want to make our lives exciting, we should start thinking about what society is and what it makes people do. Merely partying is just rebellion for rebellion's sake. It does nothing to ensure that the world we leave behind will be more enjoyable than ours. Sooner or later, that mindless partying will become one of those "mundane tasks" that Ms. S. gripes about. If so, then we have done nothing better than the generation before us. Then, we grow up to have a "normal-formal" job and end up being slaves to society's laws. Don't just rebel on Saturday nights, do it all the time.

And do it permanently. n

millz said...
I totaly agree! Good piece