Non-Violent ... | Teen Ink

Non-Violent ... MAG

By Anonymous

   Whenever I hear or read that an important figure in the National Right to Life movement has again described the movement as one of non-violence, it simply drives me crazy. This "non-violent" movement first proclaims that it supports life and is against the extinction of life, and then bombs an abortion center, putting people at risk. In 1984 alone, 24 centers in 7 states were damaged by fire or explosion, according to the head of the National Abortion Federation. This included a bomb set off in an office of Planned Parenthood in Annapolis, Maryland that had a blast strong enough to drive shrapnel through the steel sides of a pick-up truck parked 150 feet away! By chance, and only by chance, they haven't killed anyone yet.

Now to talk of the more "pleasant" solutions the Right to Lifers have to offer. Joseph Scheidler, the author of Closed: 99 Ways to Stop Abortion explains that there is still a good motive behind all their hostile actions. They "save lives, while helping preserve women's mental, physical, and spiritual health." Their "street counseling" is composed of "garbage cans full of red paint-spattered dolls ... a full line of picketer ... screaming Amurderer' at you." "Pictures of bloody, mangled fetuses" will surely be shoved in your face by "conscientious" Right to Life "street counselors." The displays they make are horrible. The same "humane" and "kind" people who try to save lives left the decapitated cat of a part-time abortion counselor in her house to scare her. This sort of horrible display isn't exactly done in the spirit of peaceful and rational demonstration.

Now you can listen to the Right to Lifers' side of the matter. (The Good) Friar John Powell says, "We want you [the women] to do the right thing. But since you don't know what is right, we will make you look at abortion in its ugly reality." But according to Joseph Scheidler, the leader of the most violent faction of Right to Lifers, "That doesn't mean we don't love the abortionists." This religious "humane" movement does seem to have its positive aspects, though. The members really seem to believe in what they are doing and aren't some sort of religious mercenaries.

Please, if you are a Right to Lifer, do not be offended by this article. Listen to me and think what your fellow Right to Lifers are doing. Doesn't all this strike you as being a tad (just a tad, mind you) unreasonable? Do you support raving "street counselors" who convince women not to have abortions using deception and fright tactics? Do you really think it is okay to bomb abortion facilities, putting the workers and any of the people around the buildings in jeopardy? Do you really think that it is worth the risk and danger to the life you are at the same time trying to protect? n