How Much Power Do Ordinary People Have? | Teen Ink

How Much Power Do Ordinary People Have?

January 4, 2021
By LaughingPanda825 BRONZE, Payson, Utah
LaughingPanda825 BRONZE, Payson, Utah
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It doesn’t take superheroes, or superpowers, to change the world.  All it really takes are regular people, people like you and me.  To help illustrate this I am going to share three stories of inspiring individuals who have transformed the world by standing up for what they believe in, helping others in need, and showing that they can’t be silenced or controlled.  These people have shown that you don’t have to be rich or famous to shape the world, all you have to be is human.

The first person I would like to talk about is Elizabeth Smart.  She has changed the world by helping countless people overcome sexual abuse and giving aid to kidnapping survivors. She has inspired many people, all around the world, to not let their past define who they are.  Instead, be the person who decides who you are.  On June 4th, 2002 Elizabeth was kidnapped from her home by a man named Brian Mitchell.  After nine months of being sexually abused by this man, she was rescued.  The first thing her mother told her was, “these people have stolen nine months from you, and by holding onto the past, feeling sorry for yourself, and reliving in it is only allowing them to steal more of your life away from you. So you need to be happy, and you need to move on with your life.”  Living her life by this, Elizabeth did move on.  Elizabeth is now an inspiring individual who is an activist on behalf of kidnapping survivors and childhood victims of sexual abuse.  Since then, she has started the Elizabeth Smart Foundation which helps support victims and their families but also empowers children (Biography.com).  Elizabeth has said, “We have things that happened to us, and yes, they shape us, they mold us.  But they don’t have to define us, what defines you are the decisions you make” (Goalcast).  Elizabeth Smart has changed many people’s lives and has inspired many to achieve their dreams no matter who you are, where you come from, or what has happened to them.  This just shows how one small person can make a huge difference in the world.

Malala Yousafzais became an activist for women’s education when the Taliban stopped allowing women to go to school in Pakistan.  She was so determined to allow women to get an education that not even a bullet could stop her from sharing her message.  Malala has become a symbol of women’s rights throughout the world, since then, and has inspired many young women to achieve their dreams, no matter what others think.  Malala loved learning, even at a young age, and enjoyed going to school.  But in 2007, the Taliban took control of Malala’s town and changed how it was run, banning education for women and many cultural activities.  So she stood up for what she believed in.  She secretly shared her thoughts anonymously through BBC, and after doing this for three years she finally decided to speak out using her real name.  Soon the Taliban found out, and they did not like that she was becoming such a popular activist and tried to silence her.  On October 9, 2012, Malala was shot on the school bus taking her to school.  She was life-flighted to an emergency room in Birmingham, England.  After her recovery, she started attending school in Birmingham, earned a Nobel Peace Prize, and started her own organization (Malala).  Her actions and words have changed the hearts of many people around the world, and have inspired many to not be stopped from achieving their most desired dreams.  She has helped pave the way for women all across the globe and helped establish women’s education to be taken seriously.  From an ordinary girl with a love for school and learning, to an inspiring woman who has helped people all over the world get an education.  Malala has undoubtedly changed the world.

Gonzalo Mendez was the father of Sylvia Mendez, and he wanted her to have the best education she could have.  When he found out that his little girl wouldn’t be accepted into a school because of the color of her skin he decided that he was going to stand up for his daughter and fight against segregation laws.  With his fight to end segregation laws, he inspired many people to stand up for their rights as citizens of America.  In 1944 the Mendez family was turned down from attending the 17th Street School in Westminster.  Thinking that they simply made a mistake he went and talked to the principal of the school, who told him Mexicans weren’t allowed at this school.  Frustrated, he went to the superintendent of schools for Orange County.  He was told that several cities have built two schools, each for a specific race and that the superintendent had no power to change this.  Knowing that the school his children were forced to attend didn’t offer proper protection and a good educational environment Gonzalo was determined to do something, but what exactly he didn’t know.  That was until he read about another desegregation case that was successful in Riverside.  He hired David Marcus, the attorney that had won the Riverside case, to help his fight with segregation and to help his children get a safe and good education.  In 1946 Gonzalo won his case, but this win wouldn’t be in effect until decades later for the civil rights movement.  A year after Gonzalo won the Mendez vs. Segregation case the Gov. of California, Earl Warren, signed legislation to desegregate schools (Facing History and Ourselves, 24-25).  His actions led to the beginning of desegregation in many states of the United States.  All of this happened because of an ordinary father's unconditional love for his children, and a willingness to do the work that was necessary for his children to become successful.

As you can see, ordinary people have all the power needed to change the word.  All it takes is hard work, someone to support you, a love for what you are doing, and focus on the future in front of you.  All three of these incredible people were once nobodies, just ordinary human beings like you and me, and yet they still managed to make a huge impact on the world just by standing up for what they believe in.  Now that you know that anyone can change the world, and you know how to change the world, how are you going to change the world?

Works Cited

“‘Choices in Little Rock’ Student Guide.” Edited by Facing History and Ourselves, Facing History, 2018, facinghistory.org/sites/default/files/Choices_in_Little_Rock_Student_Guide_3.pdf#page=7.

“Elizabeth Smart Biography.” Biography, biography.com/crime-figure/elizabeth-smart#citation, Accessed 9 December 2020.

“Kidnapped But Not Powerless! An Inspiring Speech by Elizabeth Smart | Inspiring Women of Goalcast” Youtube, uploaded by Goalcast, 13 September 2018, youtube.com/watch?v=vYVAQk8WG-Q

Malala Yousafzai – Biographical. NobelPrize.org. Nobel Media AB 2020. Wed. 9 Dec 2020. <nobelprize.org/prizes/peace/2014/yousafzai/biographical/>