The Obstacles of Optimism | Teen Ink

The Obstacles of Optimism

By lottieredding BRONZE, Austin, Texas
lottieredding BRONZE, Austin, Texas

Growing up, I remember being obsessed with fashion and would always put on “fashion shows” for my family. I would sit my sisters and parents down and strut across the coffee table, thirsty for my parents attention and approval. It was my dream to be a fashion designer. Although optimism is a personal thing and can only be applied by yourself, friends and family have made following my dreams an unchallenging subject by being optimistic and pushing me to be the best person I can possibly be.

Optimism is very important, especially if you are a teenager who struggles with insecurities. When I become insecure about something it lives in my head rent-free. Following your dreams can be hard and people may try and tell you that your dream is “unattainable” and “out of reach”, but anything is possible when optimism is applied.

Another important asset that is helpful when trying to remain optimistic is surrounding yourself with uplifting people. The trials of high school reflect a battlefield in some ways, there is always some sort of war going on constantly, whether it is with your peers, parents, or even yourself. Whenever I picture a scenario of myself being optimistic, my mind always shoots to my friends and how they always support me.

As a child, I was blessed with having the most nurturing and sympathetic family who were always uplifting. One thing my sisters always taught me was that people were always going to be negative in my life and tell me I can’t achieve my goals. As I have said before, negativity is a hard thing to overcome and fight off, but once you are able to, you are only one step closer to achieving your dreams.

In conclusion, reaching your dreams becomes much more possible when you choose optimism. Family and friends’ positivity impacts your view on optimism greatly and makes it easier to be positive about following your dreams and never giving up. When people ask me if I remain optimistic in all situations, I tell them that no matter how hard it can be to stay positive, I always try my best to. 

N/A