Late Night Debates | Teen Ink

Late Night Debates

By Sith_Otter BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Sith_Otter BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Debaters. We all know people who like to argue and really what’s the problem? If you’re with people, isn’t it better to have some conversation going? Well, trivial arguments are something you can only really get away with a few times before it becomes annoying.

My main method of talking and hanging out with my friends is through the internet. Don’t get me wrong, everyone I talk to is someone I know personally, it’s not like I’m communicating with total strangers. This is just how we hang out on a school night. We often end up in calls for hours: ten on a school night to one in the morning on the weekend. When I’m on a call for up to six hours at a time, it’s hard to keep a conversation going. Because of that, I end up just saying the first thing that comes to mind in hopes of getting the ball rolling. What I don’t intend for, however, is a full debate at twelve in the morning about what someone thinks about anime tropes. 

Disagreeing with what I say is fine, I’m not trying to tell someone how to think. But disagreeing with me and giving an entire dissenting opinion are two very different things. It’s also excusable if it’s a one-time thing. Maybe they had a bad day or are just tired, it is twelve a.m. after all. But when every third conversation is disagreeing with what I said on a whim, it gets very tiring to hear someone’s entire opinion laid out in full. I’m not even instigating a debate. What I hear back is usually three times as long as what I initially said. I don’t even care about what I brought up, it was literally the first thing that came to mind, usually because it was what someone else said that I kind of agreed with. The only reason it keeps going is because at that point I feel pressured to at least justify what I said even if it always ends in me conceding anyway since I didn’t intend for a debate. At the very least, it does keep the conversation going.

A short piece about one of my pet peeves that I wrote for my composition class.