This I Believe | Teen Ink

This I Believe

March 25, 2021
By Sinclair10 BRONZE, Champaign, Illinois
Sinclair10 BRONZE, Champaign, Illinois
3 articles 3 photos 0 comments

Regret; feel sad, repentant, or disappointed over (something that has happened or been done, especially a loss or missed opportunity). The feeling of regret is like a pimple. You are constantly worrying about it. And If you worry about it too much it will ruin your day, and put you in a bad mood. Too many times people are haunted by their regrets. As you get older the more regrets you have. Why is that? Why are people always regretting what they did or did not do in the past?


I wonder how many performers we never got to witness because they decided to quit and get a regular job. Or a basketball player that thought that they were not good enough, and decided to leave the basketball life in the past. As they grow up they always end up regretting what they missed out on. They wish they could start all over again.


At the young age of 16, I have so many regrets. Whenever one crosses my mind my stomach starts to turn. If only I wasn’t so shy I would have made the team. If only I didn’t chicken out I could have gone to the dance with him. Or if only I had more courage I could have stood up for myself and made better friends. I’m tired of having the feeling of regret. Why should I let myself go through something that does me no good? I think I have a solution. 


What if we put ourselves first and forget all about stress people cause us. You see, I have a strong belief in living your life to the fullest. I mean YOLO right? You should do what you want to do! If not, you will regret it later on. So if you want to be the next Michael Jordan, just do it! If you think you could be the next Picasso, but your parents want you to be a doctor, I say go with your gut. You are the one that gets to live your life, not your parents. 


There is so much pressure in the world to please others. Or do what everyone else is doing. Be your own trendsetter! Enjoy your own hobbies. If someone discourages you to not be yourself they are not worth your time. Life is short and you should live it the way you want. 


I want to be a movie director, screenplay writer, choreographer, and so much more. Though I do not know what the future has in store for me, I do know that I’m never going to give up. If I want it, I won’t stop until I get it. 


This might sound cheesy, but follow your dreams. No matter how hard life gets, KEEP GOING! This I believe, because once you reach your destination, everything will be worth it. And then you will make new goals and of course, new obstacles will come in your way. But that’s life! Although you will always have the burden of regrets, you will also still have those great memories that outshine the bad ones.


The author's comments:

I am a young writer and I want to share something that might brighten your day!