True Meaning of Christmas | Teen Ink

True Meaning of Christmas

As we pull into the long driveway of the brightest house on the block, I admire the Christmas lights lining the porch, and then see my Grammie and Papa excitedly waiting at the door, huge smiles plastered across their faces. Next to them, I see my little cousins running out of the house, still in their Spiderman pjs, racing to get a hug. As my family and I get out of the car, we are embraced with an overwhelming amount of love.

What comes to mind when you think of Christmas? The time spent with family? The joy of watching movies and listening to Christmas music with the ones you love? Adorning your house the day after Thanksgiving with Christmas galore? Or do you think about what new video game is on your wishlist, or what new clothes you want?

Your mind should wander to family first, but more and more of us fall into the trap of “It’s all about the presents,” and “Oooo, what should I ask for this year?”

Too many people don’t think enough about what Christmas is truly about. 

Most don’t realize that all they need is the people around them. The love and support from others that gets you through the tougher days, by your side when you need them the most. 

Many people think that if they have everything they have ever wanted, whether it be the newest iPhone or a cool pair of shoes, they’ll be happy. 

But does the shirt you bought last week truly make you happy? Do the new shoes that just came in the mail offer love and support? Getting material things can bring a temporary feeling of excitement, but it soon fades into nothing but a shirt among the fifty others you have. 

That’s when you need to look around and think, what has made me truly happy in my life? Has it been the shiny, sparkly gifts you’ve seen under the tree a million times, or has it been those who surround you with nothing but love?

And of course, I know giving and receiving gifts is a lot of fun. Tearing open the wrapping paper to slowly realize it's the shoes you’ve always wanted and shopping for hours to find the perfect secret Santa gift for your best friend are popular pastimes. 

While it is fun to give and receive presents and to check everything off your wishlist, it’s of less importance during this time of year. I know people always say that giving presents is great, which it totally is, but it’s not what this holiday should be about.

There is no comparison to seeing family you only see a couple times a year--the chaos, commotion, mayhem--as you all cram into one house.. My fondest memories include running around the house with cousins and dogs, then having a heated conversation about sports, then sleeping in one tiny room with air mattresses covering the floor, then waking up to the smell of waffles and bacon wafting into the room. 

Everyone who is celebrating Christmas this year should think not about what you have in your life, but WHO you have in your life--those who make you laugh until your stomach hurts or smile until you can’t feel your face. 

You will always have the chance to get the newest iPhone every year, but you won’t always be able to glance across the table and laugh at an inside joke with your grandma. 

And of course don’t forget about being able to decorate your house, listening to Micheal Bublé while Home Alone is playing on the tv. Or being able to take drives at night through the most lit up neighborhoods, passing houses that you saw in the newspaper that have had the best Christmas displays every year. 

When people think of Christmas, most minds go to the sparkly, newest gadget under the tree. But, it shouldn’t be like that. 

When thinking of Christmas, a smile should spread across your face and bring you back to all of the memories of previous Christmases when you were the happiest surrounded by people you love, and people who love you even more.

I wanted to create a piece that I felt strongly about and meant a lot to me.