Data Integration Is A Key Step Towards Better Healthcare | Teen Ink

Data Integration Is A Key Step Towards Better Healthcare

By rslee2022 BRONZE, Fullerton, California
rslee2022 BRONZE, Fullerton, California

An issue in healthcare is data liquidity, the timely and secure exchange of accurate data. With an increasing number of patients, we are witnessing more implementations of telemedicine technologies to adapt to the data influx.

The emerging technologies are extending our analytics capabilities more than ever, yet patient records are still not universal enough for productive care. Because these records are overwhelmed and ill-managed, there is often a frustrating lack of proper communication between patients, providers, and even insurers. Moreover, different data formats across multiple platforms have proven to be a major obstacle to consolidating data. These inefficiencies are leading to a decline overall in good patient outcomes.

The need for a common solution for data integration is often clearly demonstrated when different medical organizations are unable to match patient records and cannot efficiently provide patient care. Both my cousin and mom, who had to visit multiple specialists before even receiving diagnoses, experienced the difficulties of their data not being inputted and updated in a timely manner as they moved between professionals. I still remember following my mom around as she visited hospitals throughout Southern California, at each of which we had to either wait for hours while the doctors received her records or fill out endless paperwork for a new record.

This ongoing problem was further prominent during the start of the pandemic last year when overwhelmed hospitals not only had to battle the coronavirus, but also technology. Already-implemented technologies may have been helpful with basic care, but fragmented connections across systems left patients short of high-quality care.

What is the key to solving this problem? A unified integrated data system. An interoperable system where medical information is easily accessible across many branches of healthcare including clinics, hospitals, pharmacies, and other providers. A central hub of massive data to help solve the complex issue of data liquidity for seamless transfer of information across distinct systems.

Adopting new technologies with consistently updated medical data will allow for personal ownership of health, which in turn promotes more informed “ePatients” and providers, meeting the ultimate clinical goal. Additionally, putting technology in charge of organizing data will replace administrative tasks, allowing more time for doctors to efficiently focus on personalized patient care.

Data integration management is significant for health care success. It provides clarity regarding health records and amplifies the patient voice. This dilemma has grown my passion to help those like my cousin and my mom: those who do not have access to efficient care, those who should not have to go through unnecessary visits because their health records have not been thoroughly stored and analyzed.

The healthcare system may have enough on its hands already, but ensuring quick access to medical records is a data strategy crucial to better patient care. Working towards data integration is most definitely a key step towards ready and optimal healthcare.