Imagination | Teen Ink

Imagination

By aamjad GOLD, Getzville, New York
aamjad GOLD, Getzville, New York

"Knowledge won't come to you. You will only get knowledge if you learn and understand it"
(Ayesha Amjad)

Imagination is very important. Imagination brings creation and creativity. But what brings Imagination? Play. Play brings imagination, also reading brings imagination. So does writing. Well kind of (I'll get to that part later). I don't mean like playing with dolls, or your superman car, and that kind of stuff. I mean like playing pretend. Say you're pretending to be a pirate, or you're pretending you're going on an airplane to Disneyland.
How Can Playing Pretend Bring Imagination and Lead to Creation?
When you play pretend you imagine the things that are happening. Soon you'll get new ideas, and create new things to go with your pretend play. Playing pretend is important for everyone. It's important for babies, kids, teens, even adults, and the old! Especially children. But don't play too much, that's wasting your time. Here's an example. Say you're playing pretend that you're going on a trip to Florida. You get ready and pack your backpack, (if you have a doll) you might even take your doll with you and her/his belongings. Also, you'll probably invite a family member to play with you. Then you'll set up an airport, and an airplane, of course, it won't be exactly like an airplane or airport, but you're imagining it is. You pretend that your couch is the seat of an airplane, which is much comfier than real airplane seats. You might even turn your TV into a TV screen that would stay in the back of someone else's seat so you could watch a movie. Your mother might be the flight attendant who gives you the meals and snacks. Finally, you get off the airplane. Your father might be the one who is the pilot greeting you on your way out of the airplane. Now that you've reached Florida, you need a hotel. Say the lobby, where you check-in is your father's office. He gives you a room. You make that room up, it could even be your own room. You settle in and decide you want to go to the hotel pool. You can make your own pool, of course out of your hotel room, out of a blue blanket, and maybe put some blocks around it to make it look like a wall around the pool, and you can get into your bathing suit and enjoy, with your doll, and dress her up too. Or if you have an actual pool, you can get dressed up and go in there instead, maybe invite some family members to go with you. But maybe you won't want to bring your doll. After going to the pool, you get freshened up and get your meal. At last, it's time for bed. Not real bedtime, your pretend bedtime. Then your play is finished. Doesn't that sound like a wonderful pretend trip! The next time you play pretend play you'll remember that day you went to Florida, and you'll get new ideas. Maybe you'll go to Niagara Falls, instead. Or you'll even stay in Florida, but go to Disneyland.

How Can Reading Bring Imagination?
I think it’s pretty obvious how reading brings imagination. Don’t you agree? When you read, the author describes what’s happening so well that you can imagine what’s happening. When you read a book, especially one you like, you imagine very clearly what’s happening. But if you don’t understand what’s happening in the story you can’t imagine it.

How Can Writing Bring Imagination?
Now, when you write you already had your imagination time. You might think What? Or How? This is what I mean, that writing kind of brings Imagination. Your writing is actually your creation. I’m talking about free writing. Meaning it’s your writing, you write whatever you want it to be about. Before you go to write, you already know what to write about. You’ve already imagined it. Maybe not the whole thing. But you’ve had your imagination. So you write. This part is your creativity. How is it my creativity? You might ask. Well, it is because like I said Imagination brings creation. You spit out what you imagined on the paper. What you spat out is your creation. You might be wondering as you read this article. Where does the imagination part come from? Most of it comes from reading. You also just might get this good dream or something and want to write about what happened in it. Another way imagination for writing can come, is you might just have an interest in free writing. You just get this splendid idea out of nowhere and write about it. Want to know how my imagination came for writing? All three!

Conclusion
Now you know how Imagination brings creation In two ways. Also, you know how you can bring creation from Imagination in three ways. What brings imagination? Many things can. But most things that bring imagination are pretend play and reading. What brings creation? Answer. Imagination. How do you get creation? You get creative by pretend play, reading, writing, etc. I hope you use the ways, and have your imagination, and bring lots, and lots of creation, in many different ways. Oh, and don’t forget, no one’s too old to play. Playing is important for everyone, especially children. But don’t play too much, you need to study too!

I'm Ayesha. I hope you learn something from this, act upon it, and spread the word. Thank you.