Are people’s lives the result of the choices they make? | Teen Ink

Are people’s lives the result of the choices they make?

By rynasung SILVER, Canaan, New Hampshire
rynasung SILVER, Canaan, New Hampshire

Choice: an act of selecting or making a decision when faced with two or more possibilities. We make choices as a result of our true desires. Before making the choices, we simulate several alternate realities and choose what would be ideal. However, the decisions we make sometimes, and perhaps often, do not become the moment we live: life. 

Humans are imperfect. This common notion is a universal and unanimous truth. People fail businesses, students do not get accepted to top choice colleges, lovers break up with each other, and etc… With the concept set up, apply it to real life. I have recently watched an inspiring TED talk about empathy. I decided to become an empathetic person after all. I am going to be less critical of others and walk in their shoes before saying what my impulse tells me to do so. That is a “choice” I have made. However, life does not flow the way I want. To open up a vulnerability, I have once unconsciously shamed a friend of mine with words I have compulsively spat out. Even if I have decided to be empathetic, the unconscious habit I had hurt his feelings. This occasion proves that humans are imperfect and the decisions we make do not necessarily become reality. The fact that choices do not become life is proved in other simple examples. I have once decided to take a coke can from the lunch line; however, the coke that I decided to take was already taken by another person. What I have desired was taken away: people’s lives are not the result of the choices they make.

The life of a person does not rely on what choices they make because humans are imperfect while life is unpredictable.  It is obvious that if I want to eat pizza, I would choose pizza. However, I would not be able to know what would result such as the diner having a day off. Thus, even though I made a choice for myself, the result is unpredictable.