Adoption | Teen Ink

Adoption

By kmae17 BRONZE, Canyon Lake, Texas
kmae17 BRONZE, Canyon Lake, Texas

The topic I chose to write about is adoption, adoption is something that I hold very close to my heart. The reason for that is because I was adopted right before my birthday. I want to share my story and then get into facts and statics. My story starts May 17th, 2005, in Bakersfield California, when I was born to my birth parents. I was in the NICU for 6 weeks before I went into foster care because I was 6 weeks early and 4 pounds. At 6 weeks old I was placed with my foster mom who is now my mom. And I went back and forth between foster parents and my birth parents for about a year and then never saw my birth parents.

The adoption wasn’t final until right before my 3rd birthday because it’s a very long process. I know  want to get into some of the facts and statics about adoption and really explain what adoption is 

The exact definition of adoption is “Adoption is a process whereby a person assumes the parenting of another, usually a child, from that person's biological or legal parent or parents. Legal adoptions permanently transfer all rights and responsibilities, along with filiation, from the biological parents to the adoptive parents.”

Adoption is a very beautiful thing and should be something everyone at least considers.

Im going to know give some very important information and statics. 

According to www.ccainstitute.org, Of the over 61,000 children and youth who were adopted in 2018:

51% were adopted by their foster parent(s) and 35% by a relative.
26% were age 9 years or older.
Of the families who adopted children from foster care, 68% were married couples, 25% were single females, 3% were single males, and 3% unmarried couples.
93% of the parents rely on adoption subsidies and/or vital post-adoption services to help meet the children's varied, and often costly, needs.
Also according to  www.ccainstitute.org, All children who left foster care in 2017 had spent an average of 19 months in care.

I strongly believe everyone should look into it you are giving kids who need it a better future and to be honest, that is what it should be about.

this piece is very dear to my heart