Roller Backpacks | Teen Ink

Roller Backpacks

By jocelynzou8 BRONZE, Cupertino, California
jocelynzou8 BRONZE, Cupertino, California

They are looking for a new backpack at Target and the kid wants to know why everyone hates roller backpacks. “Why”, he asked, “why does everyone hate roller backpacks?” He asked while looking at her confused. “It was 15 years ago...when I was in middle school,” she replied. “But tell me why” he continued to ask. She took a deep breath and began. 

Everyone that had a normal backpack hated people with roller backpacks. The roller backpacks would always get in the way of people walking, run over peoples’ feet in the halls, and take up a lot of space in the classroom. Even the teachers despised people with roller backpacks, everyone was tired of getting run over left and right. Soon they were all in 8th grade, still, everyone, especially the 8th graders hated roller backpacks. It was always the really short 6th graders with them.  She would be walking straight looking forward, then suddenly out of nowhere  a small 6th grader would zoom in front of her. She would first trip over the midget 6th graders, then the backpack pole, then the actual backpack itself while getting run over by another midget. She saw in the hallways that roller backpacks filled the halls, people with roller backpacks would always walk too slow, letting the backpack lag a little bit then pull it hard with a jolt. With all that  going on in the halls she thought “ I swear I’m never going to get to class on time without punting one of these midgets out of the way”. Trying to weave around one kid she bumped into another kid with a roller backpack. “ ARF GRRR ARF” barked the 6th grader. “Demon child…” She muttered as she quickly walked away. 

Back in the store the kid looked at her shocked. “ I guess I won’t get one then, since it caused so much trouble,” he sighed. 

I was experimenting with opinions in this piece. For example, the character was strongly against the idea of the child having a roller backpack after what she had experienced in middle school. I like this piece because it shows different points of view and a flashback.