Quirks | Teen Ink

Quirks

What is a quirk? An anime fan would tell you that it is a superpower that some are born with. “So what is my quirk?” you may ask. Well, prepare to knock your socks off with amazement, because my answer is...drum roll please: optimism.

Wait! Don’t leave! Hear me out. Throughout human history, periods have been driven by visionaries that aim high. To give a few examples, we wouldn’t have had the light bulb without Edison’s hope for a brighter future (pun intended). Martin Luther King Jr. couldn’t have steered the civil rights movement without his optimistic vision for equal rights among black and white races.

Similarly, I am an optimist. I have always wanted to make people around me feel positive about themselves, which is why I am always going to be that friend who is there to cheer you up and help you look at the bright side when you are feeling down. It is a gift I am glad to have because  I believe that optimism is a frame of mind that helps drive the future. Without fellow optimists, innovation is an unlikely occurrence if not impossible.

As corny as it may sound, optimism is my superpower or quirk as it helps me envision a better future, which could consist of attained inclusivity goals, or who knows? Flying cars!

This is my take on my quirks