New Job | Teen Ink

New Job

Now after months I got the pharmacy technician job but I hate it and I think to myself, what am I still doing here? The first couple weeks weren't stressful for me, I was just doing online computer training for my full five hour shifts which I really didn't like in the beginning either. But it was easy money getting paid to do computer training, and I knew that I would go back to the pharmacy soon so it wouldn't matter. Once I got to the back it was so nerve racking, not exactly the first couple days because I was brand new so they had me filling prescriptions which was easy enough. But once it got to things like insurance, vaccines, and boosters I wasn’t having a good time. After a little bit of working I realized I could not keep up with the hours, so I had a small meeting with two of my higher ups and asked if I could just cut my hours to just one day a week. Which they let me do and the pharmacist Dave (who has been a pharmacist at Walgreens since 2005) told me this is the busiest we have been in six years with covid and flu season! The pharmacy never sleeps there is always something to do, mostly filling prescriptions especially when it's a tense stressful day. After speaking with customers all night I just feel like I’m in a video game waiting for my shift to end.

I wrote this for my junior composition final.