Only One Day Older | Teen Ink

Only One Day Older

My favorite age so far would probably be 16. I say this is my favorite age because I feel like it’s the one with the most change. I don’t necessarily crave change but it’s nice to actually feel different on your birthday because everyone else makes it seem like I should but I never really do. People always ask or say something like “Oh, how do you feel being a whole year older” and I never know what to say because in truth I feel no different at all.

But, with 16 there was actually an evident change that happened that made me actually feel like I was 16--I could start driving! Driving actually made me feel like I  turned 16 because it’s not like I could do it the day before that when I was 15.

I just turned 17 and I was thinking yesterday and was like: Wow, last year it actually felt different but now it just feels like a regular old day with no changes. When I turned 16 it felt different because of the physical change that I could actually do something that I couldn’t do before when I was younger. 

I will probably feel like this again when I’m eighteen, but not to this extent because I will get to do more things when you’re 18. You can do things like vote, go to casinos, and buy lottery tickets. Yet, none of these are daily things like driving that remind me every day that I’m old enough to do something like that. 

Turning 16 felt like when I finally study really hard and pass a test. I’m sitting there after the fact knowing that if I didn’t do that one thing single thing, I wouldn’t have passed, but since I studied or turned 16 in the driving case I can actually do it. It’s not that I really liked that age the best, even though I love the freedom of driving, but more that it was my favorite age to turn. In reality, my lifestyle as a whole changed just because I could drive and was a day older than the day before.