The book review | Teen Ink

The book review

February 25, 2022
By Annakozel BRONZE, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Annakozel BRONZE, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

You are a teenager who tries to live but not to survive. If you look around, you are not alone. Each of the ten teenagers has its own past and own secrets which they want to keep. The only medicine for those wounds of the past is Exy. 

     Exy is a fictional sport played on a soccer-sized court. It is an evolved sort of lacrosse with the violence of ice hockey. So, the Palmetto State University Exy team has to learn how to get along with a dark horse Neil Josen who signed a contract with the PSU Foxes and appeared to be a new striker together with Kevin Day who mysteriously left the undefeated champions in the Exy history called The Black Ravens and joined to the Foxes that is the worst Exy team ever existed are going to explode this game season. 

     The first book “The Foxhole Court” of a young-adult sport fiction trilogy “All for the game” by a young author Nora Sakavic was published in 2013 on the Internet and gained popularity among many readers immediately. If you are a sports fan you will be impressed how the author expresses the spirit and feeling of the players, their hope to escape from that black and white world and find it in the sense to live and fight. 

     Nora Sakavic is an American new young author. “All for the game” is her first trilogy  and for what she is famous for. Even though I read it in another language, I like her style of writing. To be honest, I like her personality also. In the interviewer she said “I’m an optimist through sheer determination. Writer of dark urban fantasy and young adult fiction. Orange, foxes, alcohol, hatred, and hope - these are a few of my favorite things.”  

     The sweaty white and orange shirts, shiny wooden surfaces and glass walls, powerless from the burning pain bodies, aching pain in the legs, the hits on the walls, crazy cries of the crowd from the stands and the taste of a victory and defeat would give you inspiration and an unforgettable impression to read “The Foxhole court”.   

     Each of ten payers hides inside themselves the typical life’s situations such as when a new person joined the Foxes and how his new team mates would treat him, an orphan who achieved fame but not freedom, a domestic violence that he hides under the T-Shirts; rich life in the gold cage, religion and gender stereotipes, drugs and alcholol, death and survival.

     The events swallowed me whole while I was reading. For me as a not so argent sports fan, “The Foxhole court” infected my soul with a thirst for sport spirit and the importance of watching and cheering for our sports teams.

      The book is easy to read and understand. The plot is thrilling because a lot of secrets yearn to be revealed and the unclear future of the Foxes must be a winning one. 

     Overall, I strongly recommend reading this book. “The Foxhole Court” has 4/5 stars on Goodreads and according to Google, 97 percent of readers liked the novel as well. 

If you are a fan of a team sport or you are interested in the life of ten teenagers and their tries to find a place in the world “The Foxhole Court” should be your next to read.


The author's comments:

It is one of the first books trilogies that infected my soul with a thrist for a sport spirit and understanding of modern teenage problems.