Business | Teen Ink

Business

By 3neubert SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
3neubert SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin

Throughout my whole life I have been swarmed with the question of what I want to be when I grow up, making me feel as if the world weighed on my shoulders. As a child, I would fantasize about being a doctor, firefighter, police officer, or lawyer. However, as I grew older I started to realize that I genuinely didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life. It became stressful by the time I was in high school because this was the time where everyone around me started to find their paths in life. As a senior in high school now, I still do not know exactly what I want to do, however I am most interested in pursuing a job in the business field.

I have grown up into the world of business as my father is a medical salesperson, while also owning a small business and some real estate properties. The work that my dad does on a day-to-day basis is interesting to me. I watched my dad struggle and succeed with his endeavors, and these are the reasons that I want to pursue a job in the business field. The work that he does with maintaining the real estate properties, and running his small business is intriguing to me, as I love the variety of skills and responsibilities that he has everyday. From the business management aspects of running a business to dealing with cash flow and analyzing the real estate market, he is able to do something different everyday.

In addition to my first hand experiences, I have sparked my interest in business after taking classes in high school. I took accounting for the first time thinking that it would be another boring elective that I could just use to fill another high school credit. However, I realized that it came easy for me and that I might want to pursue a career that uses some of the skills I learned in that class. I started to research more about business careers and explored the different paths that come along with a degree in business. This was when I realized that a career in business management would be the perfect fit for me. As a captain on the Varsity hockey team and active member of NHS, I have always had a desire to lead my peers and teammates in a positive direction. 

With my involvement in leadership and my interest in the business world, a business management position would be the perfect career for me. I want to be able to either own my own business one day or hold an executive position at a successful company, where I am able to use my leadership skills in helping my co-workers and I succeed. In addition, I want to be able to use the knowledge and skills that I learn with a business degree in college to be able to invest in other forms of business when I am older, just like my father.