Snow Globe | Teen Ink

Snow Globe

October 19, 2023
By Trop GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Trop GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It’s spring break, and most people when they think of spring will think of green or the blooming into summer. For my spring break this year it is white and blue with the crisp air of peak winter. As the season may be spring, me and my father are in Breckenridge, Colorado (as far away from warm weather as possible).


Skiing is what I am here for, and it never disappoints. After finally finishing the agonizing drive through half of the country, I see views I have never seen before. Glistening mountain tops with trees coating the side of the mountain. As we whirl around mountains slowly elevating higher and higher to reach our destination my breath is caught. I cannot tell if it's getting harder to breathe because of the elevation or if it is the beauty that has caught my eye. Snowy winter mountains with trees for miles of distance. I started to compare myself to the size of these mind-boggling eye candies and it was unfathomable. 


Reaching our destination at night it was only one sleep until I could glide through these naturally mile-long slopes. Being as dark as it was in the town, I could not spot the slopes and ski lifts, only to imagine what was to come at the rise of the sun. The next day I woke and the only thing on my mind was the view that was to come. My father and I gear ourselves up for this day of skiing and waddle our way to the first lift. What's to come I could only imagine.


As we clear our view to the first lift all comes to fruition. The 11:00 AM sun beams down into the padded feet of snow almost hurting my eyes with all of its glory. Rising even higher in elevation my father and I make eye contact as we clear the height of the massive trees. Blue skies look down into the miles of pearly white mountain ranges splashed with forest green. I realize how it is almost a snow globe and I am caved in. All 360 degrees are pure raw nature and I wonder if it can be more dreamy.


From where I stand people look like specs. Deciding to start my journey I weave down the slopes. Dodging trees and people like my life was on the line. At the speed I was going it almost felt as if I would never stop, like I was falling through a cloud not knowing when I would see blue. As my legs start to fold from the position I was in for so long I see a clearing, the bottom. I am back where I started and as I turn around to see where I came from I am amazed. Miles of trees back to where the journey started and now I am just the spec. The perspective I gained and the beauty I have encountered are what make the journey all worthwhile.