Is Online Shopping for Clothes Worth It? | Teen Ink

Is Online Shopping for Clothes Worth It?

October 26, 2023
By Anonymous

Imagine one day you were on your phone, scrolling on Pinterest, a popular app used for inspiration for an artistic audience. For a moment of scrolling through different items you spotted a model wearing a cute top. You decide to go to the mall and look to see if you can find a replica of it, but you couldn’t find one. So you use the last resort, which is online shopping. After days and weeks of waiting, you receive the top just for it to be 2 sizes bigger, having some defects and it stinks of a chemical odor. These situations are quite common when it comes to buying products online, especially for clothing. Hence why I believe online shopping for clothes is overrated, due to the low quality, inaccurate sizing, and potential scammers.
The primary reason as to why buying clothes online is overrated is because of the cost and the quality of the clothing. You’re about to check out and your total for your items are about $40-$70, a dress and some shoes, which is already enough money spent on clothes but on top of that, there would be an additional payment of about $5-$10 dollars because of shipping. Which was already pricey, but despite that you pay for it and receive it a couple days later. You open the box and scan the shirt. You then observed that the pattern is faded and it has a chemical odor. All of these situations could’ve been avoided if you bought your clothes in person, making online shopping overrated.
Another reason as to why buying clothes online is overrated is because of how size isn’t accurate. As well as, there’s a chance that the seller you’re buying from is scamming you. Not being there in person is hard when it comes to selecting clothing because of how everyone has different body types, but when it comes to online shopping you’re only seeing what is on the website, just like you’re walking in blindly. For example you buy a sweater online and it comes in the mail a couple of sizes bigger. You would have to go through the trouble of sending it back. On the other hand, when going to the store in person you would find yourself an accurate size and can even try on for yourself without the worry of a return.
Some people would argue that they genuinely like the clothing, stating that it’s quite unique. As well as, how some certain styles are hard to find anywhere and online shopping would be the only resource used. People even recommend certain online stores that are reliable and trustworthy because of their previous purchases. Respectfully, I would argue that yes, there are some reliable stores, but they tend to be even more expensive than they would be in person. As a result, you’re able to save a couple of dollars at the store.
There are ongoing disagreements about where to shop for clothes and whether it’s worth it or not. However, despite these disagreements, people have their own opinions and personal tastes. As well as, their own personal experiences. People can prefer something completely different from you. Personally, I know that many people tend to avoid online shopping for quality and cost-related reasons, making it seem overrated, but people have their own preferences.


The author's comments:

Hello, I’m just a student who wants to improve in writing..please don’t mind any grammatical errors.