Cake + Hungry=Hankgry | Teen Ink

Cake + Hungry=Hankgry

November 2, 2023
By Smartestcookiesss BRONZE, Cupertino, California
Smartestcookiesss BRONZE, Cupertino, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

In this set piece, I use imagery, a way to visually describe things in literary works. It can be found within the piece, using comparisons, similes, and vivid descriptions. The similes used, creates a picture of objects being compared to each other in a more evocative way, to give a more detailed experience to the story. For instance,  “Cake as high as mountains…”.  This piece conveys a slower, ever-lasting experience that connects to the thought of a moment that never ends.


It was hot, steamy, and humid, when I was watching the clock tick by, only 1:34 p.m. It was quiet, and I was hungry, sitting on an old chair with accents of flowers carved into it. The clock's hands seemed to be moving, barely, just enough to be slow. Dancing petals on the chair were ever so elegant, with bits of gold plated on the sides. I was daydreaming about food after hearing my stomach mutter. I’m as hungry as a wolf, I contemplate myself. My thoughts were filled with cake as high as mountains, stuffed with ice cream, and topped with sugar glazed fruits. Multiple layers with different types and flavors, cheesecake, chiffon cake, carrot cake,or even sponge cake. All within one 10-layered ice cream stuffed, powdered, fondant covered, gold encrusted, gateau. I sit there, ravenous and starved, waiting for food to arrive. Well great, now I’m as hungry as a lion. 


The author's comments:

This piece was a true story, this was back when I was visiting relatives, and was waiting for food, staring at the clock. I remember hearing the clock tick by, and just watching it until my eyes go bloodshot.