Beauty Boundaries: It’s Getting a Little TOO Preppy In Here... | Teen Ink

Beauty Boundaries: It’s Getting a Little TOO Preppy In Here...

By jsy BRONZE, Cerritos, California
jsy BRONZE, Cerritos, California

Sephora, which was once a home for beauty enthusiasts and skincare lovers, is starting to resemble a bustling daycare. Kids as little as four or five are wandering around Sephora, testing out and trying Drunk Elephant creams, The Ordinary serums, and Glow Recipe Dew Drops like skincare gurus! Sephora’s playground is no longer exclusive to teens and young adults. Many of these young customers are embodying the “preppy” aesthetic. They dive headfirst into the world of skincare, knowing more than their own parents. Does this just demonstrate Gen Alpha’s vast knowledge about skincare or does it reveal their overconsumption of social media and aesthetics? 

For the Aesthetic

“Preppy” is THE booming Tiktok trend. The term previously used to describe a classy, sophisticated clothing style (think Gilmore Girls and Clueless) has been rebirthed into neon pink, teal, and coral sweaters and shorts. But, aesthetic is far more vast. It’s a lifestyle. Applying serums meant to reduce skin texture, fix blackheads, and get rid of acne when problems haven’t even emerged? Yes! Preppies collect skincare products like they’re Shopkins. It’s odd that these children are desperately trying to grow up. Their childhood is completely different from all previous generations. The happiness of getting the Barbie doll you begged for on Christmas, playing freeze tag during recess, and eating piles of candy during Halloween has seemingly vanished from these kids’ childhoods. All they worry about now is getting the newest skincare, clothes, and iPad. How is it possible that they can name all 100 products in their skincare collection but can’t even count to 100? These young kids do not need anything more than lip balm and sunscreen but are only excessively purchasing to hop on the bandwagon. Is burning hundreds or thousands of dollars on products that you don't even need worth it? Well, it is for the aesthetic.

Hidden Dangers

Beyond the preppy aesthetic is a skincare minefield, filled with danger. The extremely sensitive, tender skin of these children are very susceptible to damage from heavily scented and powerful products. They should not be using any harsh products meant to solve problems.Products that are heavily scented, like Glow Recipe are very alluring to kids, masking its danger to sensitive skin. In fact, the commonly used serums are only for teens and adults over 15. Heavily scented products ruin skin barrier. Symptoms stop at redness, irritation, and swelling if you're lucky. If not, you can end up with skin infections, acne breakouts, and inflammation. Not very preppy. 

Baby Customers, Babyish Designs

Remember when tobacco companies used to market their products to youth in the 90s and 80s, hoping to grow their audience and keep them hooked? Many skincare brands are adopting this approach today. Bright, vibrant colors, jumbo sized letters, and a chaotic design hides their true colors under a child friendly cover. Previous simple, timeless designs have been trashed to fit into the preferences of their newer and youngercustomers. Brands are getting smart, they’ve figured out the key to fitting into these kid’s aesthetics, grabbing their attention and luring them to buy their products. The preppy trend is just a side factor in their huge sales. No surprise if most parents haven't found out that their kid’s Bubble cleanser isn’t just bubbles…

iPad Kids

When was the last time you saw a kid without an iPad in their hands? Generation Alpha are known for being iPad kids and only spitting out TikTok slang. The very first iPad was created in 2010. The Gen Alpha kids grew up with iPads. Yes, I cannot be talking about over consumption of social media, but even the kids born in 2010 had a childhood without iPads and tablets glued to their hands. Gen Alpha grew up with social media platforms like Tiktok and Instagram, which is not ideal for children who cannot even read yet. They are consuming so many Tiktoks about beauty and skincare and makeup that they are desperately trying to fit into that aesthetic. The Tiktok challenges and influencers are romanticizing skincare and turning it into an aesthetic. Tiktok has been shaping the skincare choices and belief of Gen Alpha with every scroll. While this innocent trend looks fun, it fails to explain the true purpose and knowledge of skincare.

Parental Guidance is Key!

Yes, the increase of iPad kids stems from the convenience it provides for parents. However, this kickstarts a vicious cycle. The child cries for the iPad, the parents relent, and this only worsens the child's attachment. Consequently, the kid’s hand starts to glue onto its iPad and social media. Think about it. If TikTok can make grown adults addicted, it's just as if not more likely to impact children. Children’s social media consumption needs to be monitored and controlled. Hours spent endlessly scrolling through TikTok can harm children’s brains. So many studies prove that short video content harms attention spans and can lead to anxiety and depression. Are you willing to let your child or yourself take these risks? Knowing that these are scientifically proven outcomes? When stopping is one screen time limit, “Delete App” away?

Decoding the Preppy Revolution

Even though the appeal of the preppy skincare products look innocent and harmless, potential risks and harm is twice its size. As a teenager speaking, these products are not good for your child’s skin. Watching Tiktok all day and only knowing how to say “Skibidi Toilet” is not normal for your seven year old. Throwing tantrums and crying for Stanley cups and Lululemon leggings is not something that should be normalized. Skincare, aesthetically pleasing items were never meant to be detrimental, but the way that influencers, Tiktok, and the beauty industry are firmly grasping the algorithm and the thinking of these children, it is steadily becoming a preppy revolution. 

Gen Z, let's promise that if we ever have children, they will NOT be iPad kids.