Flaming Hot Cheetos: Addiction or Escape? | Teen Ink

Flaming Hot Cheetos: Addiction or Escape?

March 21, 2024
By Sy0usu4 BRONZE, Troy, Michigan
Sy0usu4 BRONZE, Troy, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

With Flaming Hot Cheetos, where do I even start? The flavor this savory snack creates in my mouth is vibrant and almost unbelievably delicious; I'm not sure how to describe it. Almost as if there are thousands of fireworks going off in each one of my tastebuds. Whatever you want to call them, I am completely and utterly enamored with them. And I have been for the past twelve years, since that first bite. Even if the serving size is 17 pieces, I pay no heed to it; I need more. I can never seem to gather the willpower to simply stop eating them. When my fingers are completely covered in fiery reddish dust, I know I can't stop myself. I can consume 3/4 of a bag in a single sitting. 
 But while the lasting feeling is amazing, what comes afterward can be considered a problem. I am perfectly aware of the ramifications of the aftermath of consuming Flaming Hot Cheetos in excess, but I still eat them anyway. Unlike other people who might have some toilet troubles later, I simply get a stomachache. My stomach wonders what it could have done for me to hate it so. It grumbles and rumbles, then feels like it’s being ripped out. But at least I’m not stuck on the toilet! After 12 years of religiously eating Flaming Hot Cheetos, I can confidently say I have trained my stomach as to not make me go on a quest to the bathroom, but instead fend for itself and take on the pain of what comes. 
The reason I love it is a simple one. Each time I get a taste—a simple crunch of the Cheeto, it gives me reminders of those early summer days when my cousins and I would sit on the sidewalk and eat 3 little bags of Cheetos each. The hot concrete sidewalk warming our legs, while the cool wind soothed our hot faces. Every one of us tried to see who could go on the longest without a sip of water. Braving the consequences after holding out for a measly five minutes, which seemed like five centuries, we would try to convince our parents that we were not the least bit affected by the sizzling capsaicin in a ring around our mouths. Nonetheless, I didn't care, with each crunch, the spice was growing, and I couldn't stop until I funneled the tiny crumbs right into my mouth. 
To whom do I owe this great joy? Richard Montañez, a machine operator at a Frito-Lay facility in Rancho Cucamonga, California in the 1980s, was given glory for their development for many years. Montañez claims that one day after work, he brought regular Cheetos home and tried out several types of flavors on them with his wife. This resulted in him quickly climbing up the corporate ladder and soon becoming VP at PepsiCo.
Born to Mexican Immigrant parents, Montañez was one of 10 siblings. He grew up in a migrant labor camp in southern California. His family lived in a one-bedroom apartment for most of his life. He ended up dropping out of high school before getting his GED. In a “Rags-to-Riches”' story, Montanez worked every odd job from washing cars to slaughtering chickens, until he was 18. Soon after that, he got a job at a Frito-Lay plant as a janitor. 
The number of Mexican Americans migrating and living in the United States rose while his hot snack got approved and hit American markets. The Migration Policy Institute estimates that the number of Mexicans who were born outside of the country nearly doubled to 9.2 million between 1990 and 2000.
Currently, Flaming Hot Cheetos are a component of the $262.2-billion-a-year U.S. snack market. Although it's difficult to exactly pinpoint the Flaming Hot Cheetos’ sale fluctuation, Frito-Lay said in a 2022 interview with Eater, that the market for spicy snacks had increased by 12% over the previous four years. 
Studies show that over 56% of Americans have consumed Flaming Hot Cheetos at least once in their lifetime. And they are bought continuously by 46% of America. The spicy flavor composition of Flaming Hot Cheetos is powerful and addicting, capturing taste buds and igniting a flaming desire among snack enthusiasts worldwide. These red-hued delights are loved by people of all ages and ethnicities and have become a cultural phenomenon, seen everywhere from busy city streets to comfortable movie nights at home. The mix of spicy heat and flavorful cheese creates a lasting memory with every crispy mouthful, winning over hordes of devoted followers who can't get enough. 
 Flaming Hot Cheetos are special to me. They are my Tantalus's Punishments to others. Being a high school student has taught me that you will not always have what others have, some may have a new backpack, while others have a brand-new cellphone. That is ok as you possess your own values and objects. Regardless, it is still difficult to see others have what you truly desire. And so, I have realized that not everyone has the same experience as me when eating Hot Cheetos… That summertime memory is mine, and it is my great object of desire. Others while eating Hot Cheetos might not even think of anything, and instead, be tormented by the sharp heat of the savory snack. 
Thus, those carefree and joyful summer times gave way to deadlines, essays, tests, and due dates. So, there are moments when I wish to savor and revisit those final traces of the bright, dreamy memories that are distinctive to me.
I give Flaming Hot Cheetos 4/5 stars. 


The author's comments:

This piece describes my fondness for the spicy savory snack, Flamin Hot Cheetos