Coming of Age | Teen Ink

Coming of Age

For middle school I went to South Bronx Classical Charter School located in the bronx. The transition between middle school and high school really impacted me since I didn't get to finish my middle school years. It was 2020 when covid- 19 happened and it was in March that everyone went into quarantine and switched to remote learning. All of the rest of eighth grade I woke up everyday and when the year finished I was going into high school. I really wasn’t sure of what high school I wanted to go to and either way beginning freshman year I was nervous. I was nervous with the new people and the fact that going into high school meant being somewhat more independent. Compared to middle school I was given everything I needed at school. The teachers in my middle school would always change every year. I realized that in middle school I wouldn't take my work as seriously as I do now. Compared to high school being in middle school meant you were still a child but you're on your way in becoming someone more mature. 

I realized that when it comes to being in middle school my class was smaller and it was always with the same people in my grade. In high school everyone might not be in the same grade and everyone does not know everybody. So there is a big difference and change when moving into high school. You might get to go to the same high school as some of your friends but that's not always the case. I feel that because of COVID-19 I couldn't get the full experience of my middle school. I didn't get the freshman year experience like other students now. Because I was at home and during 9th and 10th grade I would always think about” what if’s.” For example, what if COVID-19 didn't happen would I be the same person I am now? Growing up and realizing that not everyone will be there your whole life. People come and go all the time and it's something that I didn't really like because it can be hard to adjust to a new environment and new people. I also realize that moving into a new environment with new people might chnage your intrests depending on the people I surrounded myself with. Since in middle school I didn't really have much of a intrest in books but because someone recommended me a book I began to read more often. Now I find reading as a hobby that I never pictured myself likeing. 

The thing about growing up is that every step of the way you begin to worry about what others might think about you. I know that when moving into high school, I was always nervous thinking about “what if they don't like me? What if I don't fit in?” Everyone is always nervous coming into highschool especially in a new school where there are already some students who know each other already.

However, now as a senior year I can tell how much more serious I take my work. I care more about my grades and I care more about passing and actually studying. Rather than just trying my best without studying. Going into high school I put in more effort into my work and the people that I surround myself with. I may not talk to the same friends from middle school but I will remember them since they were apart helping me to grow. Becoming someone independent and mature takes time and I feel during this duration I have changed in hopes of becoming someone that I'm proud. I should be proud of how much I changed compared to middle school. Middle to high school is a unique experience that everyone will remember since I know that during that time you become aware of the kind of person you will turn out to be. I know what kind of person I am and feel my personality might remain the same in the future.