Cost vs. Time | Teen Ink

Cost vs. Time

July 16, 2024
By Giggs123 SILVER, Lexington, Massachusetts
Giggs123 SILVER, Lexington, Massachusetts
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Before my mom and I started the chicken coop project, we had to evaluate the necessary tools. I suggested that we buy a circular saw to cut open the used cabinet we bought for three dollars, then cut the plywood boards to expand the cabinet into a chicken coop that is large enough. However, my mom proposed that we could use a hand saw instead. She reasoned that a circular saw was pretty expensive; while we already had hand saws, we should save on the cost of the chicken coop. I tried to persuade my mom that a circular saw is more efficient and accurate. If we use a hand saw, the finished result might be crooked and ugly, but most importantly, it requires more time and higher skill to make pieces that meet the requirements. In the end, she reluctantly agreed to buy a circular saw. For now, let's just compare the two options. 


The circular saw we planned to buy costs around fifty dollars. While it is not a massive amount, it is not insignificant either. The circular saw is a long-term investment. It can cut straight lines with ease, speed, and precision, but it does not fit into small spaces very well. We already had three hand saws; using them wouldn’t increase the chicken coop cost. However, hand saws are hard to use unless you are an expert woodworker. 


When balancing these two ways, it is important to consider the pros and cons. Making the chicken coop look good and functional was a big priority. But we also wanted to control the total cost. It was hard to decide whether to buy the circular saw at this point since the pros and cons are pretty balanced. I remembered that the hand saw was incredibly inefficient and tiring to use. Now, the circular saw was the clear favorite for its efficiency. Although it was more expensive, its speed, precision, and labor-saving outweighed its cons. A hand saw is a great tool if we are on an extremely low budget. Unfortunately, it is very tiring to use, and the lines you cut with it were hard to get very straight. 


This is why projects such as building a chicken coop are good experiences for kids. Due to the constraints, it is wise to evaluate whether buying something is a good investment—a practice we often have to do as adults. It is essential to practice listing the pros and cons and deciding which outweighs the other, a skill you need in life.


The author's comments:

It is essential to consider all the factors before making a decision.