Possibilities Through Selections | Teen Ink

Possibilities Through Selections

By Sabryth GOLD, Lawrence, Kansas
Sabryth GOLD, Lawrence, Kansas

I’ve always hated the color orange. Don’t ask me why, but every time i see anything orange, instantly want to change it to my favorite color, blue. This causes some problems, as i find myself beginning to hate anything that is orange. Why do i hate it so much? Why is it my least favorite color? Why is blue my favorite? I feel the answer is best found, not in those questions, but in the major question here: what is this concept of favorites and not favorites? If you want to know the answers, you’ve got to do the work.

Humans are selective, to say, we are picky. We pick and choose foods, friends, clothes, books, TV’s, colors, and much, much else. What is the point of this? Why do we have to choose? Maybe it’s because humans aren’t happy with what we are, i mean, we choose which parts of ourselves we like and don’t like don’t we? So how come we have to choose? Why can’t we just accept things?

There it is, the question that will help us find out why: Why can’t we just accept? Because we, as humans, are flawed. And if we are flawed, then we naturtally assume that everything else must be flawed as well. We cling so tightly to this idea, this concept that there is something wrong with everything, that we forget to look at the good sides of the very things we are judging.

But there isn’t just one straight line of likes and dislikes, everyone has a different opinion. Though i may hate orange, to the kid that sits next to me in math class, it may be the best color out there, and blue may be something to make one nautious. It all boils down to the fact that humans have opinions, and that we aren’t willing to give that up.

So, in conclusion, we have opinions, we can’t just accept things because we have opinions, we are picky because we can’t accept things, we have favorites and not favorites because we are picky. After thinking about this, i discover that i think of orange in a whole new light. Orange isn’t something to be hated, it’s just another color, no better or worse than any other, including blue. Once you realize this, you can be free from your opinions that tie you down so.