Arrowhead Students Visit South Division | Teen Ink

Arrowhead Students Visit South Division

January 11, 2010
By EmmaReynolds SILVER, Delafield, Wisconsin
EmmaReynolds SILVER, Delafield, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

On December 10, 2009, Arrowhead Sociology classes ventured to South Division High School. Students spent one day with their pen pals, and experienced a day in the life of a South Division student.

“Diversity was the key difference between South Division and Arrowhead,”said junior Sydney.
The school is comprised of 52.1% Latino students, 33.4% African-American students, 9.6% Asian students, and 4.3% Caucasian students. The school consisted of 1,800 plus students and three floors. Arrowhead has approximately 2,200 students and two campuses. Arrowhead is made up of 95.7% Caucasian students, 1.7% Hispanic Students, 0.8% African-American students, and 1.5% Asian students.

Partaking in this field trip, I felt this opportunity was not something I’ll be able to experience again.
Students at South Division were enthusiastic and welcoming, Sydney said. They talked about their school and had no problem sharing characteristics about their culture. They were open and sincere, and wanted to know our true opinions of the school.
As groups of students gathered during lunch that day, conversations arose about problems South Division faces. They have a 76% attendance rate, and have fights break out, male and female, as often as once a week or a few times a month. Teen pregnancy is also an issue. I saw two pregnant girls, although my pen pal assured me there were many more.

The part of this field trip that shocked me the most, besides the welcoming students, was the teachers. The teachers tolerate students who don’t show up for class, don’t do their work, and talk back. They deserve credit for the students they deal with.

Along with differences in traditions and lifestyles, the classes were also different. The days are set up so each student has four classes, each 90 minutes. Classes consist of all grades, freshman through senior.
Underneath the lifestyle differences, Arrowhead and South Division students are similar. They learn the same material, follow the latest trends, don’t like waking up for school in the morning, and have the same stresses that come with being a high school student.

As we continue living in our Hartland, it’s important to be aware of different cultures present in surrounding areas.
*All statistic information provided by WINSS Data Analysis