Change, Please? | Teen Ink

Change, Please?

February 14, 2010
By Nelle PLATINUM, Crewkerne, Other
Nelle PLATINUM, Crewkerne, Other
21 articles 10 photos 49 comments

I just finished writing an essay about the Icons and Heroes of the 1900‘s, I was sitting writing and I stumbled across an absolute revelation; If I had been writing about the 2000’s, despite there being very few years of it so far, I would be stumped. I am not saying that there are no revolutionary people, but the only ‘famous’ characters I can think of are ‘famous’ for walking down the red carpet in Gucci or being able to prance around in incredibly short skirts.

I was sitting revelling in the changes lead by Rosa Parks, Louis Armstrong, Martin Luther King, Eleanor Roosevelt and even The Beatles, and I realised we are the generation that will lead our countries and our planet forward and all we know to worship is beauty and talent, not the strength of a normal citizen fighting against their indifference or the compassion of a child striving for change. There is always something to fight for, always a person starving, a child being bullied, a person treated differently because of a quality they can not change; and as long as this is true it is up to our generation to make a difference, to stand forward and say: No. This is wrong.

And, as long as I am here to speak and fight, I say that even in the whole of my life I can make one persons life better it is a step forward, a step towards a better world, a better life. I’m not asking for anyone to change the world overnight, just to take a step towards being revolutionary, even if that means talking to that person who is always ignored or not walking past when the little girl across the street falls over and bangs her knee, it’s one person who may just find the strength to do the same for you. You might just inspire someone to greatness. So let’s, please, make the step towards being something great; to being a generation that we can be proud of, to being a group of people that changed the world even if just a little bit.


The author's comments:
I just wanted to write something I was really passionate about and well here it is, I hope it inspires :)