The World's Biggest Addiction | Teen Ink

The World's Biggest Addiction

February 10, 2010
By MariahS. SILVER, Leduc, Other
MariahS. SILVER, Leduc, Other
8 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Is it cocaine? Is it marijuana? Is it alcohol? Is it spending money? Is it chocolate? None of the above. Listen all teenagers and people who are old enough to access the internet.

Facebook is the largest social phenomenon that has swept over the internet world. And in some forms it turns into an addiction. This website allows you to connect with people you have or haven’t met around the world and chat with them freely, if you feel it be appropriate.

Originally created by Mark Zuckerburg, this legal addiction is taking the lives of most civilized people around the world. Sounds dramatic, right? But honestly, I am talking seriousness here.

There are currently more than 400 million active users, fifty percent of those long on any given day. Statistics show that about thirty-five million people update their statuses everyday and sixty million status updates posted. And you know those precious moments that you take pictures of and put them of Facebook? Yeah there are about three BILLION pictures like that uploaded to the site each month.

How many friends do you have in real life? Not on Facebook, I mean. Because then we’d all have an average of one-hundred and thirty friends.

And you know that time at work or school where you think that you could be doing something better? Well about an hour of that ‘better’ stuff is being on Facebook.

How many groups are you in on Facebook? How many fan pages are you fans of? Personally I was a fan of groups that fit me. I had more, over fifty but I narrowed it down to twenty-two. Friends of mine have a habit of becoming fans of things…she is a fan of 192 different things.

Facebook—in my opinion—impairs speech. Words such as ‘you, your and you’re’ and ‘thanks’ are commonly spelled like ‘u, ur’ and ‘thx’. Are people really too lazy to spell out the whole word?

Luckily Canada is not the top country that has fallen for this addiction. The top five countries are the United States, United Kingdom, Turkey, France and then Canada. Our country alone has more than thirteen thousand users.

I myself have Facebook, and yes like many I once had a life. And then some idiot told me to get Facebook.