The Art of Swearing | Teen Ink

The Art of Swearing

July 3, 2010
By vivian78 GOLD, San Jose, California
vivian78 GOLD, San Jose, California
10 articles 0 photos 12 comments

I’m not really a huge fan of people swearing every couple of seconds, but on the other hand, popping out a swear word once in awhile isn’t such a bad thing. After all, there are some people and things in the world that simply cannot be described in any way other than by a swear word.

Personally, I think that swear words are like any of the other words in the English language; they are a magic of their own. They can be magical and very helpful in expressing some ideas and emphasizing certain aspects of things that just can’t be stressed enough. But it all depends on the type of word used and the particular occasion as well as the reason the word was used. Virtually nothing in the world is entirely good or entirely bad (notice I said “virtually”), and this is the case with swear words.

Also, when used strategically and sparingly, swear words can produce a unique effect that cannot be achieved through any other means. Not to mention that a quick outburst of profanity is a much safer alternative to relieving stress than a couple of blows directed at a wall – or worse, the person who was so unfortunate as to be standing next to you during your moment of anger.

I find it amusing that people think I rarely swear simply because I’m a “goody-two shoes.” They have no clue that I avoid swearing on a daily basis so that the word can be more powerful when I do swear.

And aside from it being a way to survive exceptionally difficult situations, a well-placed swear word can make for wonderful language like no other. One of my favorite lines from all the books I’ve ever read is from Gone with the Wind: “Frankly, my dear, I just don’t give a damn.” Think now. Would the sentence really be as special without the swear word?

Swear words have special meanings and can be so artistic if used well, you know? As long as we limit the number of times we use it, as well as the kinds of words we say (I never say the F, MF or N word because those are just downright insulting), swearing can be pretty special stuff.

I call it the art of swearing.