The Art of Swearing | Teen Ink

The Art of Swearing

By vivian78 GOLD, San Jose, California
vivian78 GOLD, San Jose, California

I’m not really a huge fan of people swearing every couple of seconds, but on the other hand, popping out a swear word once in awhile isn’t such a bad thing. After all, there are some people and things in the world that simply cannot be described in any way other than by a swear word.

Personally, I think that swear words are like any of the other words in the English language; they are a magic of their own. They can be magical and very helpful in expressing some ideas and emphasizing certain aspects of things that just can’t be stressed enough. But it all depends on the type of word used and the particular occasion as well as the reason the word was used. Virtually nothing in the world is entirely good or entirely bad (notice I said “virtually”), and this is the case with swear words.

Also, when used strategically and sparingly, swear words can produce a unique effect that cannot be achieved through any other means. Not to mention that a quick outburst of profanity is a much safer alternative to relieving stress than a couple of blows directed at a wall – or worse, the person who was so unfortunate as to be standing next to you during your moment of anger.

I find it amusing that people think I rarely swear simply because I’m a “goody-two shoes.” They have no clue that I avoid swearing on a daily basis so that the word can be more powerful when I do swear.

And aside from it being a way to survive exceptionally difficult situations, a well-placed swear word can make for wonderful language like no other. One of my favorite lines from all the books I’ve ever read is from Gone with the Wind: “Frankly, my dear, I just don’t give a damn.” Think now. Would the sentence really be as special without the swear word?

Swear words have special meanings and can be so artistic if used well, you know? As long as we limit the number of times we use it, as well as the kinds of words we say (I never say the F, MF or N word because those are just downright insulting), swearing can be pretty special stuff.

I call it the art of swearing.

aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - MLK Jr.

I agree completely. In your reply to a previous comment, you said you regretted this article. Why is that? Everything you say is true. Completely true.

vivian78 GOLD said...
vivian78 GOLD, San Jose, California
Mmm...yes, you've probably noticed that this was posted several months ago and cince then I've actually been trying to remove it from TeenInk because my views on this particular subject have changed quite a bit since summer. Unfortunately I don't actually know how to take it off. It's definitely one of the articles I'm not so proud of. Thanks for your honesty - however, let's not lament on how bad American teenagers are. I think we hear too much of that already, and I'm quite proud to be an American teenager. I like who I am, and sure, I make mistakes (like this article here), but I live and I learn.

rachelsmith said...
Wow...I've read a lot of articles on Teen Ink about how swearing isn't bad, but here's the first article that's teaching people how to swear. Wow, what happened to the American teenager?